VentWorld    VentWorld    ventworld.infopop.cc  Hop To Forum Categories  RC Professionals    Drager Savina
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Drager Savina
 Login/Join

<Dean>
posted
We just purchased 2 new vents (Drager Savina), and I was wanting to hear from the people who have used it. What are the good/bad things about this vent?

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<novice>
posted
every thing about it is very bad what do u want to expect from a turbine based low end ventilator.
Regards

<TURBINE VENTILATOR>
posted
Novice

Ventilator Based in turbine can be very good! I thinhk you are a rep. (Tyco, Maquet).

<rt_yogi>
posted
The 3 things that I have found regarding turbine drven ventilators is that they are more costly to maintain, the battery does not last as long and it can be flow limiting. This is just my experience. Please do not reply with why I am wrong or that I am a rep...this is just my experience.

<A Rep>
posted
I am an opposition rep, but having worked for Draeger in my past life I feel that I should give you an honest assessment of Savina.
It is actually a very competent ventilator. The flow delivery is linear, it has a "bypass" circuit which circulates spare flow, so when a patient requires the flow it is always available. Flow starvation is not a problem with Savina, even under the most extreme circumstances. I have been able to ventilate the sickest possible patients on Savina with a ahigh degree of success. Because of the bypass circuit, the turbine does not need to accelerate breat to breath, so the turbine maintains a fairly constant speed and is long-lasting and quite energy efficient. Maintenance of the pneumatics was not a problem, and since Savina was designed for the extreme conditions (high humidity and dust proofing) it is fairly robust.
Now to the negatives:
Monitoring is rudimentary and impossible to upgrade internally- you have to buy an external medical grade tablet PC to get any trends or loops. That negates the low purchase prices.
There is no leak compensation in volume control
It is not suitable for paediatrics due to that and the tidal volume low range.
And last but not least it chesws up flow sensors at an alarming rate, more so than the other Draeger machines: it actually superheats the wire to boil off the rainout, and that seems to affect the longevity.

So to sum up: for adult patients without any advanced monitoring it is a great little machine, as long as you are prepared to factor in lots of flow sensors. Turbine related issues are not a problem

Happy ventilating :-)

<O2MAN>
posted
WE HAVE USED THESE SAVINAS FOR THE LAST THREE YEARS AND I PERSONALLY DON'T CARE TOO MUCH FOR THEM. WE ARE CONSTANTLY HAVING PROBLEMS WITH THEM INCLUDING NOISY TURBINES AND REPLACING EXTERNAL BATTERIES AND ALSO IT NEVER SEEMS TO REACH 100% OXYGEN EVEN AFTER REPLACING AND CALIBRATING O2 SENSORS. UNLIKE THE EVITAS, YOU HAVE TO DISCONNECT FROM THE PATIENT TO PREFORM AN O2 CALIBRATION. I WOULD REALLY SEARCH AROUND BEFORE PURCHASING A SAVINA

<O2MAN>
posted
WE HAVE SEVERAL SAVINA AND WE HAVE NOTHING BUT TROUBLE OUT OF THEM!! EXTERNAL BATTERIES, BLOWERS, PROBLEMS WITH O2 CALS, FLOW SENSORS, ECT. YOU NAME IT. I WOULD SERIOUSLY THINK ABOUT LOOKING AT PURCHASING ANOTHER BRAND.

<ventuser>
posted
I have not had any personal use of the Savina but from what I have heard, its not very good. I guess I would put it in the same class as a Vela or an Esprit. Not too much bang for the buck

posted Hide Post
i m am a pediatrician......i got 2 savina but i m really disappointed by its performance....plz donot go for it

Posts: 1 | Location: India | Registered: November 09, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post