VentWorld    VentWorld    ventworld.infopop.cc  Hop To Forum Categories  RC Professionals    circuit/ballard change fequency
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

circuit/ballard change fequency
 Login/Join

Picture of GJ,RRT
posted
Just wanted to find out how often people are changing their heated wire circuits and ballard suction caths. We are currently changing both Q30 days and prn. I'm thinking ballards should be changed q7 days. thoughts?

Chris Hanson RN, RRT-NPS, CPFT, AE-C
ER Registered Nurse
Grand Junction, Colorado

Posts: 66 | Location: Grand junction, colorado | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
VentWorld Director
Picture of GaryMefford
posted Hide Post
We're doing q21 days on circuit with daily HME change and going off label on our 24hr Ballards and changing q72h. We could probably extend all 3 without any problems. I think there's quite a few that are not changing either circuit or Ballard unless there is a problem with function or contamination/soiled. I wonder GJ was there some issue with your q30 days or prn process that has you considering more frequent catheter change outs?

Posts: 147 | Location: Buckeye Az | Registered: January 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Renton
posted Hide Post
We only change circuit prn (soiled, broken, etc...)

As far as in-line succion device (ballard), we change then q1-2 days, depending on the tickness of secretions an use. The ONLY time that we consider more use time is with patients very bad time constants, that derecruit a lot. We do not want to disconnect then a any cost: we then use in-line puffer, succion, active humidification devices (fisher-paykel); and we only change then when needed. In my practice, I have never used a in-line succion device for more than 7 days.

Posts: 49 | Location: Ste-Agathe-Des-Monts, Québec, Canada | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of GJ,RRT
posted Hide Post
Gary,
The cath at 7 days starts to look pretty disgusting. I just wanted to know what other are doing. Just a thought, do you think a circuit/ballard change should be done before putting the newly trached patient back on the vent(i.e.new trach=new circit)?
I use to be a big/huge HME fan, but with using the F&P 830 and a natheon circuit I wouldn't want to go back to HME's.
In my opinion, A current generation active humidity setup is superior to hme's . Why= More humidity, less deadspace, less resistance, less disconnection=less derecruitment, already heated.

GJ

This message has been edited. Last edited by: GJ,RRT,

Chris Hanson RN, RRT-NPS, CPFT, AE-C
ER Registered Nurse
Grand Junction, Colorado

Posts: 66 | Location: Grand junction, colorado | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bill C
posted Hide Post
We change in-line suctions every 7 days and PRN. Sometimes the slip cover breaks with patients that require frequent suctioning. Ballards states every 24 hrs. , CDC has done studies of weekly change outs.
I would check with your infection control guru and CDC for JCAHO appropriate data.

Posts: 74 | Registered: June 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post