VentWorld    VentWorld    ventworld.infopop.cc  Hop To Forum Categories  RC Professionals    PB 840
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

PB 840
 Login/Join

Picture of Debbie
posted
Hi,
I am a RRT with over 20 years experience, however i have been out of the acute care arena for over 10 years. I recently landed a job in an ICU at a local community hospital.
My ?, could someone please explain to me the function of Bi-level ventilation on the PB 840 ventilator?
I understand there is a high peep and a low peep and that it is similiar to Bipap. How does this mechanism work in an intubated patient?
Esp if the patient is on SIMV setting?
Many thanks,
Debbie

Posts: 1 | Location: Tallahassee, FL | Registered: July 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We have the same mode on our Servo I's, but have yet to use it. We are waiting to be inserviced. I would like to know more about it as well.

Posts: 5 | Registered: April 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yahoo IM
posted Hide Post
It is same as Presssure Control Ventilation but the only difference is your patient can take spontaneous breath at both pressure levels which is not possible in patient control. If you keep inverse I:E ratio, it works as APRV. Cool

umg

Posts: 2 | Location: india | Registered: January 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yahoo IM
posted Hide Post
It is same as Presssure Control Ventilation but the only difference is your patient can take spontaneous breath at both pressure levels which is not possible in pressure control. If you keep inverse I:E ratio, it works as APRV. Cool

umg

Posts: 2 | Location: india | Registered: January 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
MSN does not support status - click here for the profile.
posted Hide Post
BiLevel is used to deliver and control mean airway pressure. Pressure Control can do the same thing because you are attempting to control the delivered pressure. The problem with pressure control is that sponataneously breathing patients will make the control of pressure very difficult. BiLevel will give you the ability to control pressure with less effect on the mean airway pressure. SIMV BiLevel allows the patient to continue to breathe spontaneously with the belief that they will wean faster because of the idea that you left their spontaneous breathing in place. I would ask your PB rep. for a couple of articles on BiLevel to help you understand the concept and the clinical benefit. I have seen BiLevel work wonderfully for some patients and it's important to know which patients will need BiLevel. It always makes your profession better when there new stuff to learn. All the best.

Posts: 32 | Location: Powder Springs, GA | Registered: January 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post