VentWorld    VentWorld    ventworld.infopop.cc  Hop To Forum Categories  RC Professionals    Servo i modes
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Servo i modes
 Login/Join

posted
Hello, new to the forum with many questions regarding efficient and optimal use of the Servo i.
What are the specific differences between PSV and VS. Are their advantages of one over the other?

AGC

Posts: 6 | Location: hospital | Registered: November 17, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am new to the VentWorld website as well. VG or VS Volume Support is really complicated to explain, but in ways its like A/C and in ways its like PSV. If the patient is placed on VS, the ventilator basicall7y determines by very complex calculations what Pressures to administer to the patient to get a predicted VT for the patient's measured flow, and compliance and other parameters. It does have its advantages, but It also has its disadvantages, and I am not an expert on VS but I do know a little bit. I would prefer PSV due to the fact that I can MANUALLY set PS and I can set it according to my desired Volumes and instead of letting a machine predict it due to the complexity of the situation of machines posing a risk of error, I would much rather do it myself because as you iknow. Machines and YES thiws includes even the most advanced ventilators DO EXPERIENCE TECHNICAL DIFFICULTIES. I mean, VS is a good mode, don't get me wrong, but I much rather perfer manual PS. because VS is pretty much PS but Ventilator determined PS which the ventilator sets based on calculations. I'm new here, and It seems like VentWorld has not gotten very many posts and discussions lately from what I have seen.

Posts: 38 | Registered: December 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What I like most about volume support is the tidal volume control breath to breath. Sometimes in PS one can observe large variations with the volume especially with compliant lungs like COPD. Then you have to increase the end inspiratory % dramatically (eg. 50%) to maintain safe volumes and avoid atelectrauma. I'll set the volume around 8cc/kg. But I concede that PS is more common and better understood, thus more widely utilized. Sometimes when I step up to the Servo I, It can be confusing which mode to choose.

AGC

Posts: 6 | Location: hospital | Registered: November 17, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Volume support was supposed to give the best of both worlds... augmented spontaneous ventilation with a volume target. It's another example of a manufacture releasing modes without evidence base, but here's what I know:
It's PS ventilation with a secondary target for volume. It wll vary the pressure = or - 3 cm to vary the volume. It is patient initiated and patient terminated, and is an interbreath dual mode...makes it's adjustments based on last breath.

Posts: 13 | Registered: August 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
8ml/kg? you kidding?

Posts: 13 | Registered: August 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post