VentWorld    VentWorld    ventworld.infopop.cc  Hop To Forum Categories  RC Professionals    Purchasing a vent as hedge against flu pandemic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Purchasing a vent as hedge against flu pandemic
 Login/Join

posted
The New York Times ran an article stating that in the event of a flu pandemic ventilators might become scarce.

I was curious to know if it is possible for private individuals to purchase a mechanical ventilator (or several) for personal or family use in the event of such a pandemic.

If so, what should they be looking for and what is the estimated cost? Are there any storage issues (since the onset of a pandemic is impossible to predict)? In the event of a pandemic, how would/could an infected individual most likely use his/her own ventilator -- in other words, would there be any potential issues with the health care delivery industry?

Thanks.

Posts: 3 | Registered: March 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JeffWhitnack
posted Hide Post
I am quite sure you could purchase a ventilator. Just going now to Ebay and typing using ventilator as search word---Evita for just under $8,000, a Sechrist (for your kid?) for $250, PB 2801 for $90 (no accessories), Bird vent with stand just under $2,000, PB Portable for $230....and I've seen other ventilators there from time to time.

But what scenario could you possibly be imagining in which someone, anyone, could stockpile a ventilator for private use during a pandemic? It kind of takes a village to work a ventilator. Are you envisioning yourself staying home during a pandemic and taking care of a loved one on a ventilator? What about the ET tubes, sedation, suction, electrical power (will it be running?), the fact that you'd be needed at a local hospital, etc. What about all the peripheral issues such as antibiotics, HME's, circuits, etc.

I can envision such a thing in an old Sci-Fi movie where Vincent Price plays some super rich eccentric preparing for viral Armaggedon....his own private ICU with RN's looking like Pamela Anderson busting out of a super tight nurses gown, hired goons, the star of the movie discovering he has only been invited becasue his tissues match any future donor need.....

Posts: 171 | Location: Palo Alto, CA USA | Registered: November 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Great reply, Jeff.

Actually, I didn't have any personal scenario in mind and I am not a health care professional. It was just that the NYT article begged the question, but didn't answer it.

I gather then, from your response, that unless you come from a family of medical professionals with deep pockets, the idea is a non-starter.

But since people stockpile water and food against an iffy catastrophe, I imagine at least some people paranoid about Avian flu will read that (or a similar) article and start thinking about getting their own ventilators.

Picture of JeffWhitnack
posted Hide Post
I am glad you are not a medical professional! I don't mean that as an insult---it would be pehaps natural for a non-health care person to envision stocking their own ventilator in case of need. But to actually place someone on a venilator one has to first put a tube past their vocal cords. This requires skill, sedation and often temporary paralysis. Then the tube has to be secured. Ventilator settings and alarms. Plus the ill person would need tons of other drugs. Anyone in need of mechanical ventilation in which some version of a modern hospital didn't exist---will die.

But Nov 19th 2007 article in The Nation by Naomi Klein (I just happened to be going through back issues of various mags on my desk)..

...."During last year's hurricane season, Florida homeowners were offered similarly high-priced salvation by HelpJet, a travel agency launched with promises to turn "a hurricane evacuation into a jet-setter vacation." For an annual fee, a company concierge takes care of everything: transport to the air terminal, luxurious travel, bookings at five-star resorts. Most of all, HelpJet is an escape hatch from the kind of government failure on display during Katrina. "No standing in lines, no hassle with crowds, just a first class experience."

HelpJet is about to get some serious competition from some much larger players. In northern Michigan, during the same week that the California fires raged, the rural community of Pellston was in the grip of an intense public debate. The village is about to become the headquarters for the first fully privatized national disaster response center. The plan is the brainchild of Sovereign Deed, a little-known start-up with links to the mercenary firm Triple Canopy. Like HelpJet, Sovereign Deed works on a "country-club type membership fee," according to the company's vice president, retired Brig. Gen. Richard Mills. In exchange for a one-time fee of $50,000 followed by annual dues of $15,000, members receive "comprehensive catastrophe response services" should their city be hit by a manmade disaster that can "cause severe threats to public health and/or well-being" (read: a terrorist attack), a disease outbreak or a natural disaster. Basic membership includes access to medicine, water and food, while those who pay for "premium tiered services" will be eligible for VIP rescue missions. "

Posts: 171 | Location: Palo Alto, CA USA | Registered: November 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yikes!

Well, I have a back up plan: My son's in med school. Let's hope my paranoid dreams don't come true until he graduates. Actually, let's hope my paranoid dreams don't come true, period! Smile

On the other hand, I was glad to see I'm thinking like the super-rich. Wink

Thanks so much for satisfying my morbid curiosity.

Picture of JeffWhitnack
posted Hide Post
This could be the inspiration for some type of rock opera..."The Coming Bird Flu". You would win some huge lottery and prepare.

When that fateful day came.....as secretions mounted and your cough got ever more congested your wife would twirl around the enclosed mansion halls and sing "The Sound of Mucous"....

as you needed intubation you'd turn to your son and sing "Intubator" (to the tune of Jim Croce's "Operator"). Then the working stiffs would be wheeling in the Ventilator (and IPV)..One would have a beard and be burly, the other skinny....to the tune of "Money for Nothing"..."we've got to move these ventilators, we've got to start this IPV...."

Bird Flu to the tune of Born Free.

Meanwhile up top Dwight Shoot (guy from the office) is leading people around and assuming command, shouting about the Incident Command Center and all.

MSN does not support status - click here for the profile.
posted Hide Post
Great stuff Jeff! I have music videos dancing in my head. Kelly's..your concern is in the medical community as well. I know that we have begun a stockpile of sorts of low end ventilators for the potential shortage during a disaster. We are close to the Centers for Disease Control in Atlanta and they had a breach of power one day which had the potential to release some very lethal stuff into the community. This event made many people concerned and we started thinking more proactively and prepare for this potential problem. I know that many major cities are begining a program to stockpile ventilators for these issues. I am sure if the problem was big enough it would turn into every person for themselves and it won't matter what is in storage. Sorry for the morbid thought.

Posts: 32 | Location: Powder Springs, GA | Registered: January 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bill C
posted Hide Post
Good info Jeff,
The government does have a stockpile of vents in several locations throughout the nation, but the feeling is there may still be a shortage.
If you get a chance you should read The Great Influenza by John M. Barry about the the flu pandemic of 1918. Except for the technology it is a good look at what we need to prepare for.

Posts: 74 | Registered: June 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JeffWhitnack
posted Hide Post
I think I have that book in my "to do" pile. I did read the one by Gina Kolata (forget the name).

What was amazing to me that in 1918 they didn't even have any ventilators. When O2 was first given it was only as a palliative measure--the patient was dying and so it was given to relieve the of dyspnea. It wasn't until after WWII that anything resembling modern ventilators (or ICU's) began to emerge.