VentWorld    VentWorld    ventworld.infopop.cc  Hop To Forum Categories  RC Professionals    Ventilator evaluation
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ventilator evaluation
 Login/Join

posted
Hi everyone! I am a first time user of this information board. My hopes are to get some good information to use inconjuction with our future evauation of mechanical ventilators. I am in the beginning process of evaluating mechanical ventilators. I will be replacing my entire fleet over the next 2-3 years. This is a big decision and I want to make the correct decision that will work for us for now and for the next 10 to 15 years. We are a tertiary referral center, neonatal to adult and we do alot of transport both internally and externally.
I am looking for something that will address all population and do transport. Obviously we also need a ventilator that will do all the advanced modes of ventilation.

I would like from those of you that have evaluated the ventilators or are in the process to tell me what were your deciding factors or criteria to go with a particular manufacturer and model.

Thank you in advance for you time.....

Posts: 5 | Registered: January 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
At Dallas Childrens we evaluated the Servo i, the Avea and wanted to look at the PB 840. We could never get the PB rep to call us back. We tested the Servo against the Avea in our pulmonary lab using a hans-rudolph pneumotach. Each vent was tested for volume accuracy using different "patient compliance" on a mechanical lung. I can fax you the results of our test but I will tell you the servo was as accurate as our $75,000 PFT machine. The avea performed poorly. The Avea rep said it was because his vent was not calibrated. He came out and changed the software hoping to improve the performance. The Avea was retested and again performed poorly. We then placed each vent on patients for a clinical trial. The Avea stopped working on a patient in the middle of the night. We were lucky that a therapist was in the room charting when this happened. No harm to patient. That was the end of the Avea at our hospital. We eventually bought 65 Servo i. We love them and would not trade them for anything.

Posts: 12 | Location: Dallas, Texas | Registered: December 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
VentWorld Manager
posted Hide Post
Dear VentGuy,

I can't tell you which vent to buy, but we at VentWorld have the free Purchasing Decision Tool that Robert Chatburn helped us develop, and he wrote about it in the October 2001 edition of Respiratory Care.

Rob also made some templates for deciding among different types of ventilators. We were originally going to start a subscription service, but we felt in the end that we wanted to give people a free resource, until we rolled it out into different equipment areas.

Check it out here:

http://www.ventworld.com/equipment/pdtannounce.asp

-jonathan

Posts: 34 | Location: Philadelphia, PA | Registered: November 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My experience has been in favor of the Servo. It ventilates all ages/sizes and I love the pressure modes. As far as transport ventilators, the LTV 1000 is great. It is user friendly with Volume and pressure modes. Finding a transport vent. with Pressure Control was a challenge. It has a internal blender and not pneumatically driven. It can be used to give non-invasive BiPAP via using Pressure Support. This vent. would be ideal in the ED and transport. (Can you tell that this is my latest toy?)

Posts: 1 | Location: Napa, CA USA | Registered: February 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post