VentWorld    VentWorld    ventworld.infopop.cc  Hop To Forum Categories  RC Professionals    Hudson Prongs
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hudson Prongs
 Login/Join

posted
Our NICU has always used nasopharygeal prongs w/the Infant Star. Not just for CPAP support but for SIMV ventilation. We also do this with the SERVO. The STAR is ideal w/ prongs as we can set back up rates for apnea.
As we are in the learning process for the Hudsons, I don't see how they can effectively ventilate. Support yes. But I am talking about 400gr infants!(We have used NP's successfully for 300gr infants) And how do you place the infant prone w/ all that headgear?
I am interested in your own practices. Thx

Posts: 3 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: November 03, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hello,

I'm sorry I am not familiar with the Hudson prongs but in reading your question you said that you used the Servo for delivering Nasal CPAP using the prongs. How do you do this and what settings do you use? We here have not been able to do this without getting constant low minute volume alarms. We currently have 1 EME system and are using Infant Bear Cubs for Nasal Cpap. Information from you would be most beneficial.

Thanks,
Yevonne

Posts: 2 | Location: Knoxville, TN USA | Registered: December 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<Hank>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by tigngin:
Our NICU has always used nasopharygeal prongs w/the Infant Star. Not just for CPAP support but for SIMV ventilation. We also do this with the SERVO. The STAR is ideal w/ prongs as we can set back up rates for apnea.
As we are in the learning process for the Hudsons, I don't see how they can effectively ventilate. Support yes. But I am talking about 400gr infants!(We have used NP's successfully for 300gr infants) And how do you place the infant prone w/ all that headgear?
I am interested in your own practices. Thx

Yes. Hudsons only seem to work when you use the largest size prong that you can stuff into their nares because they seal by the diameter of the prong rather than the upward pressure onto the septum like other systems. But I dont know about using this for a 400 gm. Unless it was SGA, it would be tubed. Putting the baby prone is a challenge. I use rolled up diapers to lift the face moistly off the bed.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<dulce>
posted
hello!
interesting message. I am new with the Hudsons for a few months at my facility; we use the old Bear cubs with the Hudsons (most of our vents are this type)----we also do Bubble Cpap with the Hudson prongs and they seem to work too. we do not use back up rate. I have not used the Infant Star with Hudson prong----maybe I'll try. About proning the patients----we just don't when they are on the prongs.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post