VentWorld    VentWorld    ventworld.infopop.cc  Hop To Forum Categories  RC Professionals    Oximetry probes
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Oximetry probes
 Login/Join

posted
I've noticed alot of our ER nurses putting single patient use (finger) oximetry probes and sticking them on patients foreheads. I can see using it on the toes or ear lobes or even the bridge of the nose. But the forehead?? What's the science behind that, the light going into the forehead, but how is it deflected to the reciever part of the probe, unless the patient has a metal plate in his head???

Posts: 5 | Registered: December 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<Ventman67>
posted
Wrap around finger style sensors are not designed to be used like this. The sensor would be inaccurate only picking up scattered light.

True forehead sensors have the LED and light sensor angled towards each other and offered another easily accessible site although they cost more.

Ventilation was a contraindication to use due to venous pulsation.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<european>
posted
remembering my old Days in Nellcor, the managment hates the forehead sensor as it was the one holds forever and had good measuring. go for the foreheadsensor,even it is more expensiv it pays himself off over time Big Grin

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Great, thanks for the input\
Barry

Posts: 5 | Registered: December 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post