VentWorld    VentWorld    ventworld.infopop.cc  Hop To Forum Categories  RC Professionals    Your Suggestions For Chronic Vent Unit
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Your Suggestions For Chronic Vent Unit
 Login/Join

posted
Hello, I'm am the new "Team Leader" for a small LTACH that is looking at opening a chronic vent unit. What are some of your suggestions for ventilators suitable for a chronic vent dependent population. If any of you have insight into factors that should be considered for these patients,I would appreciate that too.

Thanks

Posts: 6 | Location: Southern parts of Ohio | Registered: December 04, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am the director at a 32 bed LTACH in central Indiana. We are using the Vela ventilators by Viasys and have been for 2 years. They are excellent vent for a number of reasons. We don't have the luxury of piped in oxygen and the Vela's will accomodate low flow oxygen via concentrators or liquid O2. They show loops so that we can monitor the benefits of bronchodilator therapy by viewing the before and after loop trends of our patients. They also have the capability of doing NIF/MIPs which are and excellent tool for weaning. I have nothing but good things to say about this vent and we have really had excellent results with them. You would not be sorry! If you have any questions or would like to know more feel free to email me. Thanks! I hope the input helps.
stephaniehiles@yahoo.com

Posts: 1 | Registered: May 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Georgigirl, I currently work with the chronic vent population. You want something that probably has the following features-portability, weaning modes, can run with portable O2, has adequate alarm capabilities. Currently we use the Pulmonectic LTV series although there are many vents that you could use. Think of battery operation, internal and external, speaking valve application, etc. We have had little to no issues with the LTV. Also look at the remote alarm capabilities. Good luck!

Posts: 1 | Registered: June 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What is the mission of your chronic vent unit?;(e.g, what do you want to accomplish.)Are you planning on attempting to wean any of these pt's, or are they mostly terminal weans? Sit down & have a discussion with your medical director. What does he/she see as essential features on a ventilator in this setting?(Will help you determine bell & whistle factor, e.g, Pressure Support, modes beyond A/C & SIMV, etc.) Additional things that should help you shape your decision: Cost of the platform, and product support. In addition, I would also network with other LTACH RT managers & ask them what they use & if they are happy with it, if so, why? If not, why not? LTV'S are a good ventilator. In the past, LTV's have been spendier than other platforms. Also, I believe there have been issues with battery life. Puritan Bennett Achieva is a platform that has been around for a while. The PB Achieva is the successor to the LP10, which has been the workhorse gold standard long-term vent. for eons. Not quite as sexy as the laptop LTV's. Not as easy to tote around, but this may not be an issue to you.

Also, you may want to take a look at Cardiopulmonary Corporation's Bernoulli Ventilator Management System & see which platforms interface with it.
http://www.draeger.com/MTms/internet/site/MS/internet/U...lli/pd_bernoulli.jsp
http://www.cardiopulmonarycorp.com/bernoullivms.html

Posts: 8 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post