VentWorld    VentWorld    ventworld.infopop.cc  Hop To Forum Categories  RC Professionals    NICO monitor
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

NICO monitor
 Login/Join

Picture of GJ,RRT
posted
Forum,

We are looking to purchase a NICO monitor from respironics. Does anyone use this monitor. I have found that the side stream port for ETCO2 always gets filled with condensation. Although you can get some good information from NICO, I don't think it's worth the cost.

Opinions appreciated,

GJ

This message has been edited. Last edited by: GJ,RRT,

Chris Hanson RN, RRT-NPS, CPFT, AE-C
ER Registered Nurse
Grand Junction, Colorado

Posts: 66 | Location: Grand junction, colorado | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of GJ,RRT
posted Hide Post
I was recently told that The NICO is not a side stream port, sorry. Regardless of the type of port, it still always gets filled with condensation.

GJ

Chris Hanson RN, RRT-NPS, CPFT, AE-C
ER Registered Nurse
Grand Junction, Colorado

Posts: 66 | Location: Grand junction, colorado | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<OK RT>
posted
We looked at the NICO as well and even though the information can be useful it wasn't worth the cost especially since a lot of the information we get currently with Swanz Ganz catheters and enhancements to our ventilators.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This is a great machine well worth the cost in conjuction with the Esprit vent. We have been using it here at St Elizabeth's hospital in Brighton Ma. for over a year and find the physiologic feedback invaluable to making ventilator changes and developing plans. You can get actual breath to breath monitoring of VCo2 and other parameters like Etco2, VD/VT ratios and of coarse monitor C.O. without a swan.

Once you see it in action at the bedside you will be impressed.It has many uses for repiratory care. I would not dismiss this with out fully investigating it. Best of Luck, John

Posts: 1 | Registered: February 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post