VentWorld    VentWorld    ventworld.infopop.cc  Hop To Forum Categories  RC Professionals    Vent check frequency
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Vent check frequency
 Login/Join

<Caseyrt>
posted
We are trying to get a census on how often other hospitals are checking there vents. We currently check Q 2 hrs in our general ICU. Let me know what you all do! thanks

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<smd44>
posted
We are q2-3.

posted Hide Post
we are q3-4

Posts: 3 | Registered: May 10, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JeffWhitnack
posted Hide Post
Just went to Q4 a few months ago. Was Q2 for a ages before that.

Posts: 171 | Location: Palo Alto, CA USA | Registered: November 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<newrt>
posted
I work at a major medical center and I can't even imagine being able to do Q2 vent checks! I'm interested in the work load for therapists that do Q2 vent checks.
We will typically have one therapist in the SICU or MICU, with 12-14 intubated patients. A 12 hour shift includes Q4 vent checks, often 4-8 trips to CT or other destinations, plus many treatments of course. We rarely have time to round with MDs. I know our work load is crazy, often crossing the line into unsafe.
This is the first job I have had in Respiratory, and I leave at the end of the day feeling exhausted and frustrated. I expected to work hard, but I also expected to have time for SOME quality patient care. Management in our hospital thinks we are lazy if we sit down for even a few minutes in a 12.5 hour shift. I have never had a lunch that has not been interupted by a page out to the unit. We have no coverage for lunch or breaks.
Is this typical? What do other therapists have for a typical work load?

<mucousplug>
posted
newrt......UMMS?

<newrt>
posted
No, not UMMS. It really isn't important where I work, the problem is it's my first job in the field, so I have no perspective, no idea what it SHOULD be like. I know there really is no "typical" in this field, it seems to be so different everywhere. I also know I don't want to be bored at work, with a 12 hour shift feeling like a lifetime, I have talked to other therapists whose jobs are like that.
Is there ever any middle ground in this field?

<V3>
posted
Sounds just like a hospital in Minneapolis, MN. I have worked for a Level 1 Trauma Center for a number of years. The most I've had: 16 vented pts in an SICU. Plus cover the incomming traumas. No lunch coverage. Do the math - at that point all you are doing is writing down numbers, servicing the humidification and puting out fires. One RT I knew put a piece of tape on his name badge that said, "Meter Reader." Typically, these types of situations are directly related to higher VAP rates and overall pt. mortality along with RT burnout (more from frustration than work load). The RTs that stay tend to be highly competent, severely under paid and rarely appreciated. Big institutions like that never seem to change much. It seems that you either adapt, or they will roll over you and spit you out like many that have come before. Bad systems (like bad managers) take good people down with them. For a new RT, it's great experience, primarily due to the volume. But, keep it in perspective. You are just a cog in the machine at that point - so, try not to take it personally, it's not about you. We know it's not about patient care. And, it is not likely to change. Unfortunate way to treat the people that they look to for help when they get in a jam and yell, "CALL RT!"

<newrt>
posted
V3, you just described my situation perfectly! It actually makes me feel better to know we are not alone in our work load. And you are correct, it is a great experience for me. It is a Level I trauma center and I am seeing everything.
Copying down numbers, servicing the humidity and putting out fires is a very accurate description of what we do. I would add traveling to that list. Some days I feel like I work for transportation! Back and forth to CT all day long, plus a few trips to MRI as well. It's exhausting, and stressful.

<Lisa RT>
posted
newrt

How many vented patients are you responsible for per shift?
Do your supervisors help?
Most hospitals that I have travelled to are doing Q4 vent checks and limit a therapist to 10 vented patients.

Good luck and hang in there.