VentWorld    VentWorld    ventworld.infopop.cc  Hop To Forum Categories  RC Professionals    tracheal gas insufflation
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

tracheal gas insufflation
 Login/Join

posted
At the community hospital I work in, we probably do TGI about 3 times a year. When I first saw how it's done here I was shocked. Since they don't stock the correct adapter for TGI, some therapists here use the pt's Ballard closed-suction catheter instead, taping the suction port closed, shoving it halfway down the ETT, and hooking it to the flowmeter. From my experience, this is totally incorrect, and quite scary. Pulmonologists here also tend to order it for oxygenation; which, I was always under the impression that TGI is more for CO2 washout. My question to any of you out there who have experience with TGI - I know there's a specific ADAPTER that is used for it. I'd love to know the name & model number of the adapter you use, so I can have it ordered. Also, if you have any tips about TGI, I would greatly appreciate the info. I'm trying to change a practice that's been done incorrectly for years here, I'll need all the help I can get! Thanks so much for your assistance.

Posts: 5 | Location: PA | Registered: July 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of GJ,RRT
posted Hide Post
Checkout the Respironics "Cadence system"(http://cadence.respironics.com/). I believe the system is approved for flows up to 20L. It sounds like the setup you mentioned would be a lawyers dream, if a case went to court.

GJ

This message has been edited. Last edited by: GJ,RRT,

Chris Hanson RN, RRT-NPS, CPFT, AE-C
ER Registered Nurse
Grand Junction, Colorado

Posts: 66 | Location: Grand junction, colorado | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post