VentWorld    VentWorld    ventworld.infopop.cc  Hop To Forum Categories  RC Professionals    RT Anesthetist
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

RT Anesthetist
 Login/Join

posted
Anyone here know if an RT anesthetist program exists similar to the CRNA program? I found whats called an AA (anesthesia assistant) program at a couple of schools which is a masters degree program requiring an MCAT exam. They are basically allied health versions of CRNAs with similar salaries and such.

Posts: 4 | Registered: July 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Renton
posted Hide Post
From the question , I gather that you live (and work) in the USA. So I don't know if this is of any help, but here it is.

In the province of Québec (Canada) the regular RT course includes anesthesia assistance. It is a part of our course and something like 40% of all RRT work in both units (Critical care and O.R.) The course is given in English at Vanier College (Montreal). One cannot take the anesthsia course alone, and I don't know about the equivalence that you could get in your state.

Posts: 49 | Location: Ste-Agathe-Des-Monts, Québec, Canada | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bill C
posted Hide Post
I have never heard of one in the US. I have looked over the years, but to no avail.

Posts: 74 | Registered: June 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
good idea to look into this option - if you have a BS degree in Resp Care, you should be able to complete one of these programs in 2 years. an anesthesiologist friend of mine told me about it - i chose not to do it, however, because of the logistics (didn't want to move). THERE ARE FOUR SCHOOLS IN THE US:
1) Nova Southeastern University in Ft. Lauderdale, Fla
2)Emory University in Atlanta, Ga
3)Case Western Reserve U in Cleveland, OH
4)South university in Savannah, Ga
go to: www.anasthesiaassistant.com/AnestesiologistAssistantEducation.html to learn more. BEST OF LUCK!

Posts: 5 | Location: PA | Registered: July 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Renton:
From the question , I gather that you live (and work) in the USA. So I don't know if this is of any help, but here it is.

In the province of Québec (Canada) the regular RT course includes anesthesia assistance. It is a part of our course and something like 40% of all RRT work in both units (Critical care and O.R.) The course is given in English at Vanier College (Montreal). One cannot take the anesthsia course alone, and I don't know about the equivalence that you could get in your state.

what are the typical duties of a RRT working in the operating room?

I will be applying to a children's hospital here in the US that uses RRTs in the O.R. and I'd like to see the similarities and differences.

Thanks

B.S. Respiratory Care 2008
Univ of Texas Health Sci Ctr-San Antonio

Posts: 6 | Registered: January 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post