VentWorld    VentWorld    ventworld.infopop.cc  Hop To Forum Categories  RC Professionals    Looking for the Best Ventilator
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Looking for the Best Ventilator
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
I'm not getting involved in this, and I'll say why in a minute, but....

The inspiration has no actuive exhalation valve, no dual controlled mode, and no proven service or support team. I don't care if it's the Inspiration, or the Venturi vent, or the etc, etc....be wary. Who's going to service it? Who's going to gurantee it? What's it's track record? Ever hear that you should never buy a new car model the 1st year it's out? There's some wisdom in that. Believe me, we bought PB840's and the 1st year was painful! We're happier now, but it was only due to service and their support, otherwise, we'd have them out of here long ago....but I digress....

The real reason for my post is to plead that no one ever starts a thread like this again. Why? Because it is inane, and really useless. It denegrates us as a profession. How? Go to an RN, or MD website, and see if there are these childish discussions on "My IVAC is better than your Med Pump", or an MD saying, "I can kick a** with my xyz balloon pump, and I would never buy xxx's!!!". Do you know how foolish it sounds? I have said before, buy the vent that fits your needs, budget, service needs, and relationship needs. That's all. Talk to people LIVE on the phone to get their thoughts, not some website where comapny shills abound (no disrespect intended to those legitimate members). Now, let's get on to real discussion...like who's going to buy the Siemns vent company.....! (JUST KIDDING!!!!)

Posts: 3 | Registered: March 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
PRVC on the new Servo I DOES allow spontaneous breathing, just like Autoflow, and just like VC+ on the PB vent. Hear me out...NO MODE, PRVC or AUTOFLOW, OR PRVC gives any lower PIPS. Sorry, it just cannot happen. Plus, who cares about PIPS? I want to see alveolar or plateau pressure anyway....but.....If all 3 vents give the SAME VT, and the patients COMPLIANCE AND RESISITANCE DO NOT CHANGE, and the vents all compensate for COMPRESSIBLE VOLUME, and all the vents report PIP at the same portion of the pressure waveform (some do not you may be aware), and the RISE times are equal, the the PIPS will be EXACTLY the same. PIP is based on flow, VT, and the elastic and resistive componants of the toal circuit, patient included. I know the Germans have some smart engineers, and the Swedes did it first, and the American/Irish followed up later, but none are so smart that they can change the laws of physics!!!

It makes me think of when we demo'd a vent that had a dual controlled mode, and the rep said, "see how low the PIPS go when I (insert appropriate function here) active autoflow, turn on PRVC, turn on VC+?" And you know what, they were right!!! The PIPS went down. Magic!!! Or was it due to pure physics? And that funny thing that happens when at the same inspiratory time, you go from a SQUARE flow pattern to the DECELERATING that a pressure based breath gives? There's no magic here boys and girls! Turn on the old 7200 that's collecting dust in the corner and change from square flow (which ALL servo's and Drager's ventilate in pure volume ventilation, and can be set on PB's as well). Look at he PIP. Now, change the waveform to a ramp. The PIPs go down because of the compliance curve of the lung. That's all those modes do!!!! They ventilate in a ramp, pressure style breath. Sure, there are comfort advantages with variable peak flow, and an actve exhalation valve, open breathing circuit, or whatever else they want to call it, but it's all the same effect!

I bid you adieau!

Posts: 3 | Registered: March 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
hi GSmetana ,
sorry for late Reply but i am not that often inside this Forum. By the way the Inspiration have active Exhalation, have Bipap/Aprv ,have Autoflow, have active Breathing and i also think that they have a Service and Support Back up in the States (look at the ATS in Seattle). It is running international already 2 Years and i don´t think there are some baby defects anymore.
The only thing i like to say is that there are some new Ventilators coming around haveing a lot of the main features and a affordable Price!
It is nice to see the USA Market and the european Market as most of the new stuff will be now released outside europe as the 510k takes so much Time!Nearly every ventcompany offers you the same now in europe, just the Names are different. By the en of the Day the only thing of interest will be how the vent is acting on the Patient and how reliable it is in reality!!!
Let see after ATS, perhaps there is a new Kid in Town doing the same as the big ones but affodable for everyone

Posts: 4 | Location: Oberhausen Germany | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ric crt
posted Hide Post
the topic is getting warmer now after Jeff started the thread. With our colleagues intellegent explanation and our careful understanding of what they're saying, i dont have any suggestion for jeff but im finding this discussion very vrey interesting

ric mandanas jr

Posts: 30 | Location: doha qatar | Registered: April 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Anyone with recent use of the Galileo? Evaluating vents right now and it's sparked interest in our facility. We would use it for neonates and peds awaiting transport and mostly adults. Any comments regarding it?

Posts: 2 | Location: Newport,Rhode Island,USA | Registered: May 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<Jeff N>
posted
I claim full responsibility for the original question back in November. And I appreciate this forum for the freedom to express whatever "professional" thoughts are relevant and helpful in decision making.

I never thought for a minute that one simple question would generate so much conversation/interest compared to other more heady topics. Obviously, many people have legitmate thoughts and concerns, and should be allowed to freely share opinions without being berated for it.

Thank you to all who contributed. And to those who find the conversation "inane"...don't click the link

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<BMadsen>
posted
We evaluated most of the newer vents and actually eliminated the Galilleo early on. Our concerns were with service and also some promises of futures that never developed. Seems to be a nice enough platform but not widely used in our area and all the features we were interested in aren't yet available. We ended up splitting the order between siemans an drager.

posted Hide Post
Thanks for your response. Did you look at the 840 during your eval?

Posts: 2 | Location: Newport,Rhode Island,USA | Registered: May 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<BMadsen>
posted
Hello. We did look at the 840, but the staff preferred the other units. Mostly due to what they viewed as ease of use.