VentWorld    VentWorld    ventworld.infopop.cc  Hop To Forum Categories  RC Professionals    please help if you can
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

please help if you can
 Login/Join

posted
I am a 24 hr. caregiver for a wonderful woman. I need help. She is on an ltv 1150/simv/16 bpm. We have been fine since we got home 3 months ago. Now randomly she will breath over the 16 set breath to the mid 20's then she gets nervous and is in discomfort. normally her airway pressure is approx. 25. When this happens she will have one short beath every few minutes around 12-15 airway pressure and pressure support number (set to 10) flashes then her breaths per min go up. They start going down then the same thing happens. Ie..short breath with low air way press and value flashes. Please pass any info you may have to me. This just started so i believe something changed. I dont know what. Vent was turned off and disconnected from battery recently during hospital visit. Could a value in setup have changed? Thank you.

Posts: 3 | Registered: February 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
VentWorld Director
Picture of GaryMefford
posted Hide Post
rds,
This almost sounds like a normal occasional increase in spontaneous respirations. If you question the machine or the settings, then you should contact the DME company. If it's determined that it is not the machine then you want to seek to find what might be causing it. Is there pain, is she trying to communicate, are there secretions in the airway, is there some other reason for anxiety that's causing increased respirations. It's possible that the shortness of breath may indicate a need for increased pressure support that is a setting selected by the physician so if you're concerned about the level of setting or a medical change of condition you need to check with physician. An occasional increase in respirations is not necessarily a reason for concern but the anxiety described may indicate more. This is omething also you might take up with your home health nurse when they come next time. I hope this helps. It is difficult to evaluate without seeing her.

Posts: 147 | Location: Buckeye Az | Registered: January 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Gary, thank you for the response. I understand, its hard without being here to say. The thing is shes been in and out of hosp. For 1.5 years and is on medicare and caid. A lot of people sadly dont want to mess with her and do the minimum for her to get her out of the way. I know its good to be strong enough to bteath over. Shes able to do it since she got a trach 1.5 years ago. There are no secretions causing it. As needed shes suctioned. When this occurs she can be on xanax or take it when happening. Doesnt affect anything. Vitals have been normal and raised both. She has been in a deep sleep and it hapoened one night. She coughed one time and breathing returned to normal. I have added oxygen with no affect. It almost seems like one breath is being cut short. It can last for few hours sometimes. This is with no movement at rest. She cant exercise or do anything when it happens. We were not doing it fewmonths ago. Its recent. The cuff is inflated. My vent supplier does good on supplies but im not confident on her knowledge level. She thinks its good for her to breath over. And i agree, but thats not the problem. Its the issue coming abd going. I think the flashing pressure support value is a giveaway but i dont have enough kbowledge. The vent manual says thevalue will flash when inspiration is tmed? I think thats ehat it says i have to recheck that. Thanks for responding. Its nice just to have someone listen. I am very involved in her care but i am only a layman. Its Frustrating.

Posts: 3 | Registered: February 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post