VentWorld    VentWorld    ventworld.infopop.cc  Hop To Forum Categories  RC Professionals    Respiratory Respect. . .
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Respiratory Respect. . .
 Login/Join

Picture of nebpusher
posted
Do you have any? Do you get any? Discuss. . .

Breathe easy baby!

Posts: 5 | Registered: March 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bill C
posted Hide Post
I try to ensure an provide the tools so that all my staff gets respect.
Respect has to be earned by the individual first and then the team will follow.
I have been blessed to be respected throughout my career.

Posts: 74 | Registered: June 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
VentWorld Director
Picture of GaryMefford
posted Hide Post
Interesting question nebpusher. I am sure most of us have had some brush with a general low level of respect. I have personally experienced this. I believe firmly that knowledge, skill, the ability to execute said abilities when indicated and by making a difference clinically will earn respect from competent clinicians from all disciplines. Many of those who are initially disrespectful will come around when you show you know your stuff.

Posts: 147 | Location: Buckeye Az | Registered: January 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Your department is only as good as the weakest link. For some stupid reason people like to remember the one bone head move rather than the previous 10 good calls. I am fortunate to work at a hospital that has changed it's tune towards the RT staff over the last few years. Most of that change is due to the intensivest demanding a higher level of performance and our neonatalogist expecting more from us also.

Posts: 3 | Registered: September 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I work in a NICU in south FL and the RTs here are intrigal parts of the team as a whole. Our opinion is valued and our skills are honed. GREAT job

Posts: 2 | Registered: September 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The hospital I started at 5 years ago had little to no RT respect, mainly due to the disgruntled dayshift RT's. As we are slowly bringing in better therapists (mostly on nights)the respect is a little better, but its slooooow going. The nurses deffinatly have their favorites (for good reason).

Like was said earlier, they remember the bad calls from the handfull of horrible therapists. I blame management some due to the fact that they hang on to those bad therapists who have given management every opportunity to fire them. We're talkin...extubating the wrong patient bad.

Posts: 3 | Registered: October 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post