VentWorld    VentWorld    ventworld.infopop.cc  Hop To Forum Categories  RC Professionals    Bi-level and Bi-pap
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bi-level and Bi-pap
 Login/Join

posted
I need to know the difference between bi-level and bi-pap

Posts: 2 | Registered: January 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<phil413>
posted
They are the same thing. I believe that Respironics has the copyrights on the word "BiPap". So everyone else has to call it Bilevel or something like that. Smile

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of starsmed
posted Hide Post
"BiPap" is the copyright of Respironics. "BiPap"=PSV+PEEP.It is the abbreviate of "Bi-level Positive Airway Pressure"

Drager has a "bipap" too!It is the abbreviate of "Biphasic Positive Airway Pressure".This BIPAP is often described as a time-cycled alternation between two CPAP levels.

Posts: 3 | Registered: December 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<Jeff Whitnack>
posted
If Evita 4 users go to the Language section and select "Old English" (? I think that's the term) one finds that PCV then is named BIPAP.

So in Europe Drager has termed it's PCV to be BIPAP. (All ventilation is essentially bi-level----though the VDR might be termed tri or even quad level!).

So the term can be a trademarked device (Respironics) in which the mode is usually pressure support (but on the Vision model if the patient doesn't initiate the breath it's Pressure Control). Or it can be PCV mode on the Drager when "ole English" is invoked.

Bloody confusing, heh?

BIPAP: Useful new modality or confusing acronym?
Critical Care Medicine. 26(9):1473-1474, September 1998.
Silver, Michael R. MD

Reply With QuoteReport This Post