VentWorld    VentWorld    ventworld.infopop.cc  Hop To Forum Categories  RC Professionals    high flow nasal cannula on neonates
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

high flow nasal cannula on neonates
 Login/Join

posted
The neonatologists at my facility have recently been requesting nasal cannulas at 1-2 lpm to produce CPAP. Is anyone else doing it and do you have a calculation for the degree of cpap generated?

Posts: 6 | Location: sylmar, ca. usa | Registered: January 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<Hank>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by mechappens:
The neonatologists at my facility have recently been requesting nasal cannulas at 1-2 lpm to produce CPAP. Is anyone else doing it and do you have a calculation for the degree of cpap generated?

We step every baby from CPAP to NC starting at 1-2 liters at whatever FIO2. We wean FIO2 to 21% first, then step down the flow. Obvious changes in the number af A & B's have been seen with NC use. CPAP level could only be measured with an esophogeal baloon so there is no calculation and will be variable due to nare size, prong size, mouth leak and Ve.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<tigngin>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by mechappens:

<tigngin>
posted
We have been using nc's for "light" cpap. It is generally converted to l lpm= ncpap +5. However, frequent A's/B's need ncpap. Flow via a cannula is only minimal support. We still put n/c's on blenders w/humidifiers so that O2 may be delivered if needed.

<dulce>
posted
this is a common practice in some hospitals in Saudi Arabia;---before I didn't like it at all but it seems to work!