VentWorld    VentWorld    ventworld.infopop.cc  Hop To Forum Categories  RC Professionals    infant stars/neo
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

infant stars/neo
 Login/Join

posted
For all of you old timers out there who have used Star's w/ sync boxes.
If the sync box is in use for SIMV and the abdominal probe is in place, and you initiate a breath with the "manual breath" button, would you not take the vent out of sync w/ the infant as the infant is trying to initiate a spont breath while you are trying to give manual breaths. As you know, the sensor is very sensitive. I know this seems like a simple question but I would like to see some thoughts on this. Nothing is addressed in the literature regarding this.

Posts: 3 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: November 03, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
the abdominal sensor is a poor way to sync and trigger, I suggest you go with vent that has a proximial flow sensor.

a mechanical ventilation genius

Posts: 20 | Location: Tyler, TX | Registered: February 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Why would you want to use a vent with a proximal airway sensor. This only adds to your deadspace and also adds weight to the ETT. I know the added deadspace is only 1-3cc of volume but in a small baby tha could be 1/4 or 1/3 of their volume. As for the added weight, why increase the risk of extubation.

Posts: 12 | Location: Dallas, Texas | Registered: December 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This is very old technology, if your baby was a 25 weeks would you choose to put him/her on an infant star vs babylog. The infant star has been discontinued for a reason. Because you get no information about the baby's Vt or MV you can't properly understand pulmonary function.

a mechanical ventilation genius

Posts: 20 | Location: Tyler, TX | Registered: February 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
MSN does not support status - click here for the profile.
posted Hide Post
It's been a while since I used this but I believe the "manual breath" would be out of synch. The button is assuming that the patient is not breathing a therefore synch would not be an issue. If you need a definite answer, you can email me at mcleanbr@msn.com and I will call to find out for you.

I hope this helps,

Bruce

Posts: 32 | Location: Powder Springs, GA | Registered: January 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post