VentWorld    VentWorld    ventworld.infopop.cc  Hop To Forum Categories  RC Professionals    Which Vent?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Which Vent?
 Login/Join

posted
I am the educator for a 12 bed combined icu/ccu and we are currently looking for a new ventilator. We have Drager evita2 dura and evita 4 xl. I want to try and break the drager hold and was considering the Vela.Any opinions?

Posts: 1 | Registered: March 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of light
posted Hide Post
Zed,
This gets into some forums that are already going, but..... Here goes any ways. In My opinion the Avea is a great vent as far as giving you any possible tweek and option there is, but it can be a very complicated vent to learn and understand. Your staff will need a great understanding of mechanical ventilation, waveforms, triggering and all other possible options of ventilation. The vent in my opinion has toooooooo many variables for an everyday vent. If I were in a research hospital it would be great because I could manipulate all these variables.

My personal opinion is that the best vents compared to what you have are the Servoi or just to stay with what you have in the drager XL.

Light

Posts: 104 | Location: Springfield, MO | Registered: March 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JeffWhitnack
posted Hide Post
The Drager Hold.

Sounds like something from a World Wrestling Match.

Maybe someone could take one of the "My Ventilator Can Beat Up Your Ventilator" arguments here and put it into a sound presentation ala a wrestling match. The Servo Break, etc.

Posts: 171 | Location: Palo Alto, CA USA | Registered: November 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<smd44>
posted
When making such a critical decision I believe you need to look at all the variables. I suggest that you bring in the vela and the Servo-i and compare the two ventilators.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<btrdaddy>
posted
Light... I agree with you. As light knows my hospital is a Servo house. It depends on what type of educating you do.. for example my RT Director put together a graphics presentation using screen captures off of the Servo i. (I believe he could download this info to his computer.. pretty cool). Also, we utilize all the newer modes of ventilation... PRVC, BiVENT, volume support and Automode which are all the newest modes to teach.(No ATC)
Again, I agree with light in that the Avea is very busy vent although it does have a "quick connect" box for Heliox delivery (But from what I understand the vent still uses the bird type oxygen blender that bleeds off excessive gas, which leads to ALOT of heliox waste.)
I recommend at least looking at the Servo i and keeping a few Drager XL's. This way you have 2 good ventilators with all the bells and whistles.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post