VentWorld    VentWorld    ventworld.infopop.cc  Hop To Forum Categories  RC Professionals    New LTV 1200
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New LTV 1200
 Login/Join

Picture of Bill C
posted
Has anyone got a chance to see and/or play with the new LTV 1200?
I would like your thoughts on it for possible use in our state's emergency stockpile.

Posts: 74 | Registered: June 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<bodhisattvya>
posted
For an emergency stockpile ventilator, why not go with an earlier model LTV ventilator;(e.g, 800, 900 series.)In a disaster situation, all you are going to probably need is a workhorse volume ventilator without bells & whistles. This way you will be able to buy more of a less expensive ventilator. Plus, the external PEEP valve is probably more reliable in the disaster environment.
Better yet, I know the feds;(HHS/FEMA) are stockpiling LP-10's & Eagle Autovents. Use these models & you can purchase many more than you could of the LTV's. In addition, the feds could possibly resupply circuits & other needed parts if you should need them. Just a thought, YMMV.

Toby S. Knight-Meigs,RN,BSN,EMT-P,RRT
Staff Nurse, soon-to be per-diem RCP
Lower Umpqua Hospital
Reedsport,OR

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Gary:
Instead of wondering whether or not the new LTV 1200 is the ideal vent for your state's emergency stockpile, I would first outline what it is you need from a ventilator in a mass casualty/disaster situation. It should be relatively cheap, with easy obtainable parts, be tough enough to withstand the rigors of a disaster/mass casualty environment, capable of running from an external battery, and/or gas powered as a backup to A/C electricity. It also needs to be a workhorse volume ventilator;(no bells & whistles needed.)This means no PCV,PSV, etc.(If the situation gets so bad that you're breaking out the disaster stash of ventilators, there may not be enough RT's out there to set them up. Therefore you need to think of the simplest platform possible for EMT's,RN's, LPN's,MD's,DO's,PA's,NP's etc. to run.)A platform that performs in one mode preferably, two modes maximum.(my choice would be Assist Control/CMV, but SIMV could be included),Vt, Rate,FiO2 & PEEP either as an integral part of the machine, or externally integrated into the circuit.) Am I missing anything?
In your other post regarding this same subject on 7/27 you stated that the Feds are stockpiling LP-10's & Eagle's. Why re-invent the wheel? You must also think about resupply. If you have a prolonged disaster of any kind you are going to need additional parts;(e.g. circuits & other necessary parts to keep the ventilator functioning.)When the federal Stockpile reaches your area, your in luck. Otherwise, your stuck obtaining these on your own.

Lastly the 1200 is a new platform. I realize that LTV has a history of making an excellent mech. ventilator, but I would be leery of buying anything for such a vital task without a long-established track record. Correct me if I am wrong, It is my understanding that the only thing differentiating the 1200 from the 1000 series is the integral PEEP valve. What if this PEEP valve doesn't work as well as expected. The external PEEP valve that is integrated into the LTV circuit seems to have passed the test of time & endured in many harsh environments(e.g. homecare,transport, etc.) IMHO, if you were hellbent on the LTV/Pulmonetics platform, I would go with the model 800's with the propietary circuit that includes the external PEEP valve. You are going to be able to buy many more ventilators this way.That's my opinion,YMMV.

Toby S.Knight-Meigs,RN,BSN,EMT-P,RRT
Staff Nurse
Lower Umpqua Hospital
Reedsport, OR

Posts: 8 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
VentWorld Director
Picture of GaryMefford
posted Hide Post
Excellent, thoughtful post. Thanks. Thanks also for joining. Your opininion is appreciated.

Posts: 147 | Location: Buckeye Az | Registered: January 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Gary:
Thank you for the compliment & the warm welcome.
Sorry for the repost of similar arguments, I wasn't sure if the first one went through.-Toby.

posted Hide Post
Whoops:
I just realized that my post was in response to Bill C's post, not Gary's. Sorry about that.-Toby

Picture of Bill C
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the input.

Posts: 74 | Registered: June 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The LTV 1200 is a fantastic vent. We have been using it for several months. So far, we have not had any operational problems with it. However, for an emergency stock pile I would go with something bear bones and less expensive.

Posts: 1 | Registered: June 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ric crt
posted Hide Post
LTV is a good quiet ventilator. we do have problem with tubings (peep valve attachment)in frequent sterilization. Whole machine heats up on continous use but still functions well.

Posts: 30 | Location: doha qatar | Registered: April 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post