VentWorld    VentWorld    ventworld.infopop.cc  Hop To Forum Categories  RC Professionals    Use of ballards on Servo 300a
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Use of ballards on Servo 300a
 Login/Join

<johnrrt>
posted
We were told a few years ago we can no longer use ballards on our Servo 300a ventilators because it messes up the vent somehow. I have recently found out that other hospitals in the area DO use ballards with their Servo300s and have never had a problem. What do you experts have to say about this?

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<John RRT>
posted
Another person told me that it's OK to use a ballard on this vent as long as flowby is off. Is this true? If so, how can I prove this to my boss?

<rt_yogi>
posted
I've been using the servo 300a since 1998 and only had one situation arise that was actually the fault of the MD. He had the RN suction while he placed the patient on an inspiratory hold. This blew out the transducer. Aside from that we never had any problems with the closed suction system and the s300a. I hope that helps.

Picture of Renton
posted Hide Post
Yes, it is true. However, we do not have the papers... is was a quite some time ago.

I do remember that it affected only some vents (with a specific ID number). Because of the expi valve and the way the pressure transducers are putted, if a negative pressure is built inside the vent, you will blow the transducer, and the insurrances won't pay. Now, Seimens medical do not exisit anymore in Canada and Maquet don't want nothing to do with the 300-A...

After a few years, in view of the cost effectiveness of succionning and in line with protective ventilation, we started to use Ballards again: NEVER had any problems. Usually, the flow needed to sustain peep during succioning is enough (a few trials with a test lung should convice you). And, if you want to do more, there is a technique (not oftenly done) in wich a recrutement manoever is done during succionning (Pressure: 30-40 cmH2O).

Hope this helps!

Posts: 49 | Location: Ste-Agathe-Des-Monts, Québec, Canada | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post