VentWorld    VentWorld    ventworld.infopop.cc  Hop To Forum Categories  RC Professionals    When To Trach a Patient?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

When To Trach a Patient?
 Login/Join

posted
Happy New Year! Smile

This is a poll to find out whether or not there are set standards/protocols at facilities when to trach a patient.
This is an open discussion between my facility's trauma/surgical staff and medicine staff.
It was brought up again at our last meeting and made me think: Are we missing something and/or is there data out there to suggest different.

Each physician has their own personal opinion about this topic. Also, what type of trach procedure is your facility doing: percutaneous vs. surgical?

Thanks,
Wade

Question:
How many days on a vent before deciding when to trach a patient?

Choices:
3-5 days
6-10 days
14 days or greater
Depends on patient's injuries/disease
Other

Question:
Percutaneous vs. surgical?

Choices:
Percutaneous
Surgical

Posts: 16 | Registered: October 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
VentWorld Director
Picture of GaryMefford
posted Hide Post
Happy New Year to all as well. Great question Wade, and well set up with the poll. I am currently at an LTAC and we try to get patients before they are trached. We have about 70% success rate at getting them extubated without needing to trach them. If they need a trach we can do a perc. So as to when to trach, if there is a chance of getting them to a center that specializes on weaning, and can do trachs even if the move is not real feasible until 2 weeks in consider leaving the ETT and let the weaning center have a chance at extubating. I consider the trach better in general and fully understand the trach as early as it seems like weaning will not occur quickly mentality unless it was my neck, then I might feel differently. As to perc or surgical trach, my experience with both leads me to feel that the percs are better. The stoma is tighter to the shaft of the tube and there is less mess (upper airway secretions passing the stoma, blood etc on the pad) and seems to me less infection in those I have seen. I have seen some breakdown resultant from the bruising that comes with the dilation of the percs, but that is far rarer than a purulent draining surgical stoma site.

Posts: 147 | Location: Buckeye Az | Registered: January 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bill C
posted Hide Post
I agree with Gary. I have seen to many Columbian Necktie surgical trachs the are a disaster to heal upon decannulation. As far as traching a patient I beleive that it should be dependent of the projected patient outcome.

Posts: 74 | Registered: June 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post