VentWorld    VentWorld    ventworld.infopop.cc  Hop To Forum Categories  RC Professionals    HOW IS YOUR JOB?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

HOW IS YOUR JOB?
 Login/Join

posted
Im an RRT at a 600 bed hospital. Just curious what everyone does at their hospital. We are assigned around 45-50 tx per 12 hour shift. We use pyxis to get medications.Still Chart on paper in ICU and ER(which is great). We intubate pts all the time. Our ER docs order tons of tx. ( We have 1 therapist in ER only, No other assignment). We have around 13-15 therapist on per shift. So how about everyone else?

Posts: 1 | Registered: February 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nebpusher
posted Hide Post
My job is rediculously busy. Same situation as the first poster. Seems as if you can't really provide care because all you seem to do is go from treatment to treatment. I've been doing this for five years and I am a little jaded. Even in ICUs, the number of treatments . . . Respiratory Care is about so much more than nebulizers. . .

Breathe easy baby!

Posts: 5 | Registered: March 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of GJ,RRT
posted Hide Post
Nebpusher,

Contact me, within the next 18 month we will have one of the most progressive RT departments in the country.
You'll need to change from nebpusher to physician extender if you come work with us.

GJ

Chris Hanson RN, RRT-NPS, CPFT, AE-C
ER Registered Nurse
Grand Junction, Colorado

Posts: 66 | Location: Grand junction, colorado | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Excellent. Work exclusively in intensive care units. Very progressive RT department. Just as GJ mentioned, our dept is seen more as a physician extender, rather then a neb pusher.

Posts: 6 | Registered: November 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bill C
posted Hide Post
Nebpusher,
Do not fret, this is some of the growing pains of our profession. Protocols and physician extender programs around the country are changing and redefining our scope and usefulness. I am constantly finding new things for my staff to take over (i.e. IABP, hemodynamics, PICC inserts, APC, etc.)
The skiy's the limit ... if you caqn dream it, you can find a way to master it.

Good luck and don't give up hope.

Posts: 74 | Registered: June 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bill C,

where is this?

email me if you do not want to disclose location.

ramiro_ac (at) yahoo (dot) com

B.S. Respiratory Care 2008
Univ of Texas Health Sci Ctr-San Antonio

Posts: 6 | Registered: January 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Renton
posted Hide Post
I need a little help to follow that topic:

Is "physician extender " a official term or type of health care professionnal (in the US). I tried to run it through a automatic translator, and the translation does not make any sense.Is it more like a general term for an advance practice in RT, like the terms "clinician" or "practitionner".

What kind of level of competance are we taking here? Or what kind of acts can that professional do?

Thank you! Merci!

Posts: 49 | Location: Ste-Agathe-Des-Monts, Québec, Canada | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JeffWhitnack
posted Hide Post
Hi Renton,

I think "Physician Extender" is a kind of inclusive term for

Physician Assistants (PA's)

Advanced Nurse Practitioner

Nurse Anesthesist.

All 3 operate under MD supervision, but act more independently. For instance, where I work we have PA's whom see ER patients, PA's who work in surgery with cardio-vascular patients and then follow them on the floors post-op. They can write med and other orders. I am not at all versed on all the particulars.

When I worked at the VA we had a rehab floor where the Nurse Practitioners ran the show. It was particularly frustrating because when we tried to curtail the onslaught of ridiculous orders (the patients there were supposed to be better and ended up getting a BIG escalation of RT orders upon transfer there) their response was "lab or radiology doesn't argue when we order things, why do you?".

A lot of frustrated RT's end up going into PA programs (or trying to).

Posts: 171 | Location: Palo Alto, CA USA | Registered: November 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of light
posted Hide Post
My reponse to those NP's would have been that radiology and lab are not liscensed proffessionals.

But I agree that is one of the main reasons RT's look to other proffesions.

Light

Posts: 104 | Location: Springfield, MO | Registered: March 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
radiology technologists and MTs are licensed in many states.

B.S. Respiratory Care 2008
Univ of Texas Health Sci Ctr-San Antonio

Posts: 6 | Registered: January 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post