VentWorld    VentWorld    ventworld.infopop.cc  Hop To Forum Categories  RC Professionals    Intubation
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Intubation
 Login/Join

posted
I am very curious to know how many therapists intubate patients routinely in their hospitals. If you do, which hospitals are utilizing RT's for intubations and do you perform any other advanced procedures?

Thanks,
mjRT

Posts: 25 | Registered: February 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bill C
posted Hide Post
We intubate at my facilities. We also insert A-lines, assist on bronchs and percs, tracheqal ablasions, PICC lines.
I have workeed ather facilities where we did th above plus we did SG catheter assists, hemodynamic monitoring, IABPs, TEGs, Assisted in OR for all hearts.

Posts: 74 | Registered: June 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Can you tell me which hospitals you have worked at that do this? The hospitals in my area seem to be pretty limited on the RT's scope of practice compared to other places.

Thanks,
mjRT

Posts: 25 | Registered: February 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Renton
posted Hide Post
We routinely intubate in the anesthesia setting, but seldom in the emegency room or intensiva care unit.

You must know that in Québec, RRTs are also anesthesia assistants (nurses are surgeon assitants)

Posts: 49 | Location: Ste-Agathe-Des-Monts, Québec, Canada | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In our NICU, we routinely intubate, give surfactant, assist in bronchs, place art lines, and go on transports. Our vent protocol allows us to manage the vent without calling the MD with all blood gases for vent changes. I work on nights and we do not always have a neonatologist in house. Nearby level 3 NICUs only allow their therapists to make vent changes. I'd rather be more involved in patient care.

Posts: 2 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: March 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
At my last facility (47 bed NICU inner Houston)The therapists were expected to intubate, give surfactant, run the Jets and the HFOV, and the iNO. The Medical Director expected that "his" therapists should be able to do everything from recieving the baby to admitting & writing the orders. Then call & wake him up in the AM in time for rounds, & let him know what went on.

A few of us even did needling for pneumo's, and insert UVC's at delivery.
At my currant facility in northern Texas, the therapists can't even explain to the NNP's why they shouldn't always use 20 lpm flows on the HFOV. I don't work up there anymore.

Posts: 4 | Location: North Central Texas | Registered: April 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post