VentWorld    VentWorld    ventworld.infopop.cc  Hop To Forum Categories  RC Professionals    A question about positive or negtive trigger on a vent.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A question about positive or negtive trigger on a vent.
 Login/Join

posted
Hi,

I have a question about the trigger on a Servo i ventilation. If patient is breathing spontaneously, normaly they would be having positive trigger and i read positive trigger is flow trigger which is easier for pt to breath.

But the pt I looked after has negtive trigger with cpap/asb, and she is breathing fine. If i change the trigger to posive, she gets tachyponea. But the peep pt recieving is less than the set up peep. Pt does have encephalopathy, not sure if that wil make any difference.

Thanks

ychuang

Posts: 1 | Registered: June 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Tina,

Did you ever get an answer to this? I'm curous how Servo i's have a negative trigger. You would think that a flow trigger would always be positive, and a pressure trigger would be negative. The only time you have negative flow is during exhalation, so I'm not sure how or why that would trigger an asb breath.

Posts: 6 | Registered: July 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
On the servo i the "positive" trigger is a flow-trigger, and the negative is a pressure.
Usually, the flow-trigger is better (less work for the patient), and you should set it at the minimum without auto-triggering (induced by the leaks)

Posts: 1 | Registered: December 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Who called it? Smile

Posts: 6 | Registered: July 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post