VentWorld    VentWorld    ventworld.infopop.cc  Hop To Forum Categories  RC Professionals    Where do you measure tidal volume?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Where do you measure tidal volume?
 Login/Join

posted
We have a new physician who is insisting that we measure tidal volume on the inspiratory limb instead of the expiratory. Has anybody changed to this and what whould be the reasoning behind such a change?

Posts: 2 | Location: Globe, AZ, USA | Registered: December 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
so does he want to know what is being delivered? Which you already now with what is dialed in, right. And what about leaks around the ETT changing the Vt?

Posts: 3 | Registered: February 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm not sure what he is looking for exactly. We were doing a ventilator check, while he was present. He started questioning us about the check and why we were using the expiratory limb instead of the inspiratory. I assume he wants to be sure that we are delivering the ordered VT. He stated this was done at a different facility he worked at.

Posts: 2 | Location: Globe, AZ, USA | Registered: December 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
MSN does not support status - click here for the profile.
posted Hide Post
The only time that I like to look at inpiratory limb vt would be when the tidal volume returned is distorted by a leak in the et tube or with uncuffed tubes or leaking chest tubes. You might gain insight as to what is being lost or what is being applied as a vt. Some people use an inspiratory vt as a modified disconnect alarm. Most ventilators have a calibrated inspiratory vt already built in so you may be reduntant.

Posts: 32 | Location: Powder Springs, GA | Registered: January 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I believe that most new generation ventilators display what volume is set, a measured inspiratory TV and a measured expiratory TV. The only time I would measure either volume is if I think the ventilator is not correctly measureing these volumes, or to confirm the values that a possible leak is present.

sometimes ventilators can be out of calibration and what TV is set, isn't exactly delivered, it may be more or less than what is dialed in as a setting. Usually biomed with calibrate this so that they are acurate. So I am not sure what was your purpose of check the TV? Remember who's to say the piece of equipment that you are using to varify the TV may be out of calibration, when was it last checked?

Posts: 5 | Registered: January 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post