VentWorld
Any experience with Newport HT50

This topic can be found at:
https://ventworld.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/2616042361/m/8631004103

March 14, 2007, 07:43 AM
JeffWhitnack
Any experience with Newport HT50
Maybe I'm showing my age here. I recall when the term "Peep compensated" was used it referred to whether or not the trigger sensitivity would automatically adjust when one raised or lowered the Peep. In the MA- vent if the sensitivity was negative 2 and then one raised the Peep from zero to 12 without turning up the sensitivity to positive 10...then the patient would have to pull negative 14 just to trigger the vent.

But as per the newer definition. The LTV version we use has external Peep and so PS setting of 10 with Peep of 5 is really PS of 5--_the PS setting is akin to a Bipap level. Same with PC. The trigger is via flow-by so that takes care of that issue. I've heard the newer version of the LTV has the Peep internalized to the vent.
May 07, 2007, 12:43 PM
ventchick
I know the state of Virginia bought them for all of the hospitals as an emergency disaster ventilator due to the ease of use and battery life.

I work at a long term care facility and am getting ready to do a trial with them. If anyone has any information about use of them with long term care, please post. Thanks.
May 10, 2007, 08:17 PM
mrRT
The only advice I have is to not use these on any patients with a lot of anxiety. It is a very noisy vent. If you use inline suction it wont be that bad, but we do not use inline sxn and every time you disconnect the vent has a fit (a very loud fit). I swear the thing sounds like its about to blow up.

I think they are great for mass casualty because of the long battery life and durability, but I would be very happy if I did not have to use that vent ever again.

mrRT
June 04, 2007, 05:53 PM
Cyndy Miller
Dear mrRT,

I am happy to answer questions about HT50 for you any time. Just email me directly at cmiller@nmitkb.com.

Here is the story as I know it about why Pressure Control is sometimes referenced to ambient and sometimes to PEEP.

Originally, Pressure Control was not referrenced to PEEP. The pressure you set was always referenced to ambient (think back on neonatal ventilators). When Pressure Control and Pressure Support were introduced for the first time on a ventilator that originally offered only volume control, the ventilator manufacturer used a single control to do both and it was termed Insp Pressure (above PEEP). That is why Pressure Control was not offered with SIMV mode on this and other ventilators like this at first, because the Pressure Control and Pressure Support shared the same knob. Since Pressure Support was referenced to PEEP, it meant that both Pressure Control and Pressure Support were referenced to PEEP.

Ventilators that originally offered both pressure and volume ventilation in A/CMV and SIMV modes referenced pressure ventilation to ambient (not to PEEP). So when Pressure Support was added to these vents, it was added with a separate knob and referenced to PEEP. But the Pressure Control remained referenced to ambient.

You will notice that on Newport Ventilators, the Pressure Support control has a little sub text that says (> Pbase) and the Pressure Limit does not.
June 04, 2007, 05:58 PM
Cyndy Miller
Dear mrRT,

HT50 is widely used in Pressure Control ventilation for both adults and children. It offers volume monitoring and alarms and back up ventilation which kicks in if the patient hypoventilates due to secretions or other forms of airway obstruction. I am happy to send you support material to help your facility to know how to set it up. Just let me know how I can help.

Cyndy Miller RRT
Director of Clinical Education
Newport Medical Instruments
cmiller@nmitkb.com
June 12, 2007, 04:34 AM
ric crt
our hospital uses ht50 alot. thanking you in advance for being our adviser. have sent you inquiries also...
June 12, 2007, 08:45 AM
c.p_RT
in our hospital, the admin had just bought 30 pcs of HT50s because most of it are being used for long term patients. we don't have any difficulty using the vent because of it size and durability. and some patients love it because they can move around the hospital with it.it is also reliable during procedures because of it's internal battery.one time, i've used for 7 hours on internal battery while transporting a patient abroad/overseas.BUT the problem is on PC modes, usually our patients doesn't tolerate PC modes. on what I've observed, it builds up pressure easily.even if your Ti is set 1.5s the manometer will show that it reached already the set inspiratory pressure, and monitor will show lower VT which afterwards our patients will desaturate.anybody had experience with that?thanks...
June 16, 2007, 10:29 PM
ric crt
c.p RT, im sending u informations sent me by Ms Cindy re. HT50 on PC and patients with uncuffed trach and pediatric patients... this could help ur department.... Give it a shot... Smile

Ric here
November 01, 2007, 02:03 PM
knighttherapist
It has a flow capability to approximately 100 lpm. For your sicker patients, it will have a hard time keeping up. It seems to be pretty good for Long-term and transport.