VentWorld    VentWorld    ventworld.infopop.cc  Hop To Forum Categories  RC Professionals    Questions for practicing RCP(s)
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Questions for practicing RCP(s)
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
Whitnack, You Rock!!!!!!!!!!!

Posts: 9 | Location: Cleveland, OH, USA | Registered: November 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<Alex>
posted
yes

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<RRT>
posted
While I was a practicing Registered Respiratory Therapist for many years, I am sorry to say that in my opinion nursing is the way to go. While it is true that you can have wonderful experiences in the field, if you are trying to get a mortgage or put your kids through college you will be hard pressed to accomplish these on an RTs salary. Additionally, why should you have to fight for respect. It is a reason that RNs make more money and have a great deal more flexibility and respect. Respiratory Therapy can be exciting, but excitement doe not pay the bills. Sorry but RN is the way to go.

<Jeff Whitnack>
posted
Our RT salary level, in comparison to where we started out, has probably risen per centage wise more than the RN's. Salaries for working RT's here are approaching (and exceeding) $40/hr now.

How ya like them apples?

If you're you're already an RT-- instead of going to nursing school, spend that time working overtime and invest the extra (gotta lose money going to school or do school and work anyway).

<Student RT>
posted
Hi, Just a quick note on your question. I am going into my second year of college in Respiratory Care. I also had to make this very same decision 2 years ago when I got layed off from my job. Being a mother of a 23 week old premature infant it was not hard to make. I thought back of all those babies in the nicu and remembered how their lives would not be posible without mechanical help. On a the same note my husband quit his job last year and is on his way in becoming a RN. My husband is also in the miltary reserves and if he evers goes full time with them, I know that I can still find a job in the states without taking a license exam. I know this is late but good luck each job will be well worth it.

<dwasserm>
posted
Thanks for your message...made up my mind...RT is the way - it just feels like the right fit, at least for the forseable future. I could always go RN sometime - but maybe not. When I read list-serves like RC_World I see lots of enthusiastic professionals making a long-term go at it - and I feel psyched.

posted Hide Post
Hi,

I've been a Therapist for 23 years now, an dstill love it. I am now the Director of a department and it has been a great experience.. Where one person replied that our $$$ does not pay the bills, I beg to differ...I just recently bought a $198,000.00 home on my salary. That was before I took my new position.. The toughest thing about being a therapist that Ihave found is all of the walking. I work in a 900 bed facility, and while it is different for me now, when I was on the floor and doing critical care....you would log miles before 12 were over....It is a great profession, and to heck with what anyone else says..Respiratory is well respected at our facilaty, and they could not function without us...GO FOR IT< YOU'LL LOVE IT....

Posts: 2 | Registered: August 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post