VentWorld    VentWorld    ventworld.infopop.cc  Hop To Forum Categories  RC Professionals    Efficacy of CPT...
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Efficacy of CPT...
 Login/Join

posted
Hi all. I'm currently seeking studies, information regarding efficacy of CPT. I'm very skeptic on this therapy.

Any url's, text, etc would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Posts: 6 | Registered: November 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Renton
posted Hide Post
C5RT: Could you elaborate for your foreign readers... CPT??

Posts: 49 | Location: Ste-Agathe-Des-Monts, Québec, Canada | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sure Renton. It's something not frequently encountered by Canadian RRT's, but CPT equals chest physiotherapy.

I've found little to support it's use, but unfortunately have seen it used and abused extensively.

Cheers.

Posts: 6 | Registered: November 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am curious about this as well. We have a new Dr. in our hospital who loves to use it on adults, even ones with chest tubes. I would like to see it compared to a PEP therapy and/or IPV.

Posts: 4 | Registered: January 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nebpusher
posted Hide Post
Well our hospital uses it, but I think it has subjective success. Some patients love it. I think it is beneficial to cystics, as most of the ones I have dealt with are good coughers and are very cooperative. I cant' stand doing CPT on an anxious, SOB, congested COPDer. Can you imagine turning them into all the different positions? Good luck with that. So you end up beating on their chest with them in the semi-fowler position and they barely cough . . . it just does not work. I think anything that actually make a congested patient cough is good. PEP, EZPAP, Huff coughing, DB &C all work better to me. I have some patients who swear by their IS. I thought having a chest tube was a contraindication . . .

Breathe easy baby!

Posts: 5 | Registered: March 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I C5RT. I am struggling with a response. Having said that I have used many adjuncts in hopes of encouraging mobility and recruitment of sputum. It seems likely that most of the data would come from the cystic population but I have never seriously sat down and followed through on that.

I did however a lecture once a few years back by a Canadian RT who has written some articles on lung recruitment techniques, relaxation and so on. You can find this information on:

http://ca.geocities.com/ginogodin@rogers.com/nbartreeduc.htm

this url provides link to a course offered in this area of rehab.

Further to that I have also seen many adjuncts such as cough assist(coughalators), PEP, Cornette, Flutter, vests, percussion, vibes, vibe beds and all that great stuff and I have to agree it does often seem subjective.

Having said that I had great success with a quad the other day who was silently aspirating. With some effort and assistance we did manage to clear a great deal of parenchyma. Well so it seems anyway.

Probably not what you were looking.

Posts: 45 | Registered: July 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post