VentWorld    VentWorld    ventworld.infopop.cc  Hop To Forum Categories  RC Professionals    Vision Policy
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Vision Policy
 Login/Join

Picture of Bill C
posted
I am trying to find a policy for hooking a Vision unit to trachs.
I know that the Vision in the only BiPAP/CPAP unit that has FDA approval for trach usage.
Thanks

Posts: 74 | Registered: June 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Renton
posted Hide Post
We used it once on a patient (we were missing a vent), and the vision did the work. It was several years ago. We were tempted do make a protocol about the usage of the vision on trach patient, but we stop.

The fact that all expiratory gases are let out of the vent without any filtration at all, the fact that the upper airways are "bypassed" by the ETT, and finaly the SARS experience in the province next to us conviced us not to persue in that direction.

We will by in a near future vents that are non-invasive capable in order to address that need.

I know it does not help you at all (sorry!), but I was wondering why you were interested in the invasive capabilities of the vision

Posts: 49 | Location: Ste-Agathe-Des-Monts, Québec, Canada | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bill C
posted Hide Post
I work in a LTACH and currently we have 7200s and Visions. I have used a CPAP prtocol for CHF at hospital I worked at. Recently we had one our trach pts. develop a CHF episode and it would have been more convienient to place them on a Vision vs the 7200 to get them over the hump.

Posts: 74 | Registered: June 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Renton
posted Hide Post
Your suggestion makes a lot of sense. I don't partucularly like to work the 7200. Plus a Vision equiped with the PAV option is a powerfull tool.

There is a special circuit that our sales rep gave us. It as a water trap (we believe a lot in active humidification) and a 15/22 mm adaptor. I used it with a michigan lung and did some tests. Worked fine.

Plus, if your patient is isolated in a room, it diminishes the risk of spreading diseases. The timed parameters on the Visions works fine on a well sedated patient, and we were able to do weaning on the vision also.

Personnally, I don't think that you will find a lot of "hard evidence" to conviced MDs to go along with your rather fine idea. I would suggest a 1st trial with a "night cpap" type a patient(with trach), a patient willing to help futher science (!), collect data, and go from there.

Posts: 49 | Location: Ste-Agathe-Des-Monts, Québec, Canada | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post