VentWorld    VentWorld    ventworld.infopop.cc  Hop To Forum Categories  Vent Users and Families    Emerson Cough/Assist In-Exsufflator
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Emerson Cough/Assist In-Exsufflator
 Login/Join

posted
We have a doc that's chomping at the bit to use this thing (he's like a kid in a candy shop). I've been to the Emerson website and copied the abstracts they list realizing that they probably only list the studies that are positive to their product. I am interested in hearing from anyone who has real-world experience with this equipment. It sounds like a very time-consuming mode of therapy for an acute care facility. Any thoughts?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Posts: 3 | Registered: July 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
VentWorld Manager
posted Hide Post
Dear Phil413,

I've seen some talk about this device on Jim Lubin's vent user's list. From what I recall, the responses are positive, but perhaps you should post there or at least review the archives for more info (look at the top of this page):

http://www.makoa.org/vent/index.html

-jonathan

Posts: 34 | Location: Philadelphia, PA | Registered: November 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Our pulmonologist swears by these for neuromuscular patients. I have used it several times and it takes about the same amount of time as a IPPB tx. The company sent information to us with Christopher Reeve giving his approval of it.

Posts: 3 | Registered: February 26, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This machine has saved my sons life several times. It works much better than the hospitals medications and manually trying to clear his chest when he is sick. Cannot give you any negative feedback, just maybe listen to your doctor and give it a try. You will be happily surprised.

Posts: 1 | Location: Sequim WA | Registered: July 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Go with an open minded doc, because the use may vary depending on the condition being treated. My husband has been quadrplegic for almost two years now. As a result, he now has a trach and reduced diaphragm function. Due to the reduced diaphragm function, he can't expectorate and most people in his condition would require "deep suction" with a catheter. We have one of those too, but have only used it maybe a hundred times in two years!! We LOVE the suction machine!!! Non-invasive, and more productive, and I can get him coughed in less time than it takes to glove up and connect a catheter. Thank your stars that the doc is considering this, most haven't even heard of it!!

Posts: 1 | Registered: July 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post