VentWorld    VentWorld    ventworld.infopop.cc  Hop To Forum Categories  Vent Users and Families    Looking for a vent to put on wheelchair/scooter
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Looking for a vent to put on wheelchair/scooter
 Login/Join

Picture of dimasha
posted
I currently use a LP10 Puritan Bennett on my scooter and since it weighs close to 40 pounds and I'm about to get a new scooter I was hoping to find a lighter vent. I've looked at the HT50 and LTV so far online but I'm curious as to how durable they are. My LP10 has never broken down in the 6 years I've had it or needed servicing aside from the 6,000 hour check. If anyone uses anything on a chair and is rather mobile please let me know.
Andy
Dimashasbailbonds@yahoo.com

Posts: 3 | Location: Buffalo,NY | Registered: February 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
VentWorld Manager
posted Hide Post
Dear Andy,

I don't want to steer away traffic from this site, but in the interest of getting you an opinion quickly, I suggest that you check the archives of or post to the excellent vent users list run by Jim Lubin (http://www.makoa.org/ventuser.htm).

-jonathan

Posts: 34 | Location: Philadelphia, PA | Registered: November 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi Andy,

The HT50 is very durable and with a built-in battery that lasts up to 10 hours and charges while in use from an AC or DC outlet (wall plug or cigarette lighter), it fits very nicely on a chair. You will drop your vent AND battery weight down to 15 lbs total.

All my best,

Cyndy Miller
Director of Clinical Education
Newport Medical Instruments
cmiller@nmitkb.com

Posts: 19 | Location: Newport Beach, CA, USA | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Andy alathough the Newport vent is smaller and lighter, it is new on hte market and the durablity has yet to be proven inhte United States. The LTV is smaller as well and with a weight of 13 lbs, it will certainly accomadate your needs. The new LP-10 is called the Acheiva and is basically the same box of hte LP-10 but a little lighter in weight, with the same durablity as hte LP-10. feel free tio contact myself thru this site, or an E-Mail and I will be happy to discuss the merits of all the vents. LNHMS

Posts: 11 | Registered: January 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dimasha
posted Hide Post
My contact info is Dimashasbailbonds@yahoo.com
I looked into the LTV a year ago and at that time I was told by a Respiratory Therapist in the Buffalo area that it was a fragile ventilator so I stopped research. As I resumed research for a new vent this winter I'm at a standstill because I'm stuck using whatever vent my homecare company provides me with. If the company doesn't use it with their patients they don't acknowledge it exists. I'm not in a position to purchase a vent. Currently my insurance pays more than twice the cost of a vent would be to purchase, and that is per year. Let me know your thoughts on the situation.
-Andy

Posts: 3 | Location: Buffalo,NY | Registered: February 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use many LTV's and dont find that they are "fragile" at all. Many of my clients go to school, and enjoy the outdoors all day long, I have a client that frequently flies commerical flights and travels extensively by van llver hte country. If you are interested in hte LTV my suggestion is that you contact hte company directly and let them put you in touch with a provider.

Posts: 11 | Registered: January 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<Lori CRT>
posted
I have used many LTV and find that they are not as fragile as many think. They are smaller and lighter which make daily activities possible. This vent has been on the market for quite a few years now and has gone through the stages that any new vent goes through of ironing out the glitches. I haven't had the chance to use the new batteries but hear they are much smaller and longer lasting. It is also nice that because if you have to go into the hospital it has capabilities that allow the hospital to increase vent support without having to switch to a conventional hospital ventilator. I would suggest asking your DME about the ventilator. If they are not up on the vent contact PulmoneticSystems to speak with a Rep.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi,

We currently use the LTV950. It is very portable and fits nicely on the wheelchair. We have not had any problems with our vent but do know of some problems in the past with the alarms not working properly. It weighs less than 20 pounds and is easily transported. Good luck to you.

Posts: 1 | Registered: May 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dimasha
posted Hide Post
I'm still LTV hunting. I live in Buffalo, NY. My homecare company won't budge. If you are a rep for a home care company please let me know and if so then where are you located. If you are a patient like myself please specify so. If anyone doesn't want to disclose personal info on here my email is dimasha@aol.com

posted Hide Post
Hi dimasha... I wouldn't suggest the newport b/c if you have large volumes, the thing pumps/vibrates like no tomorrow! The LTV is great for portablity but these are the drawbacks

1- it is much less efficient than lp10 (turbine vs piton/cylinder) so if you are active on your wheelchair/scooter then expect to drive shorter distances because the vent will suck a lot of juice from your batteries. A way around this is to have an external battery purely for the vent (rather than sharing power for wheelcchair + vent). But the joke we have around the shop is the brochure for the LTV... it shows a girl on a horse with the vent but fails to show a big external battery to run it!

2- it is louder than the lp10! the turbine is not insulated well enough so you will hear constant spinning of the turbine.

if you want info for my best recommendation email me at kho@bcpara.org
The ventilator is made in france and is called airox legendair. It is quiet, super efficient turbine drive system, much more portable (smaller and light) than lp10. I think it's lighter than ltv!

good luck hunting!

Posts: 4 | Location: Vancouver, BC | Registered: January 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post