VentWorld    VentWorld    ventworld.infopop.cc  Hop To Forum Categories  Vent Users and Families    Vent Nursing Facilities in Central Texas
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Vent Nursing Facilities in Central Texas
 Login/Join

posted
Hi! We have been told by the administration at Scott and White Hospital that my mother cannot be weaned off her ventilator and that they want to turn it off. She will die and my family is determined not to let that happen. We are looking for a nursing home in Central Texas that will take vent patients. Any ideas?

Posts: 1 | Location: Salado, Texas | Registered: January 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi...
There are always a lot of factors that come into play when Medical decisions are made.What happened that Mom ended up on a vent?How long has she been on a vent?How many attempts have they made to wean?Age?What is her Renal status?
The sad truth is there are very few long term vent beds not just in Texas but all over the United States.
There are other options but again there are factors like family support and involvement with physical care or resources to pay for private care.
Tell me more about your situation.

Posts: 4 | Location: Dallas Texas | Registered: January 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My situtation is similar my mother is only 56 yrs old and colapsed 1 and 1/2 mths ago. She suffered severe brain dam and is on a vent. She IS responsive and moves arms, legs, closes eyes, moves her head when we ask her. We don't want to give up on her and now I am in the same situation that they want us to move her, they have not tried to wean her yet but looks like we will have to look for a care centr with vent support and it has been difficult. She is on minimal vent support but they are stll saying we have to find her a place if anyone has ANY information that would be beneficial please share...

Posts: 1 | Registered: January 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In seeking help... more information helps.Why did your Mom collapse?Did she have a Stroke,brain bleed,anurism?Did her brain damage happen because of lack of oxygen after an incident or the incident it self?Have they said she is in a coma?Are her movements voluntary or involuntary?
If she is only 6 weeks post incidence with brain injury it's really too early too even tell what the outcome will be.What do you consider "minimal" vent support?Why haven't they attemted to wean?If she can be weaned,the care issues and choices are totally different.If I knew more I could help more.
I've been the Primary caregiver for a 29 yr old tramatic brain injured male.He was a victim of an assault.He was in a coma,trached and vented for 10 months.There were months of arguments medically sound about "pulling the plug".Surprising enough he woke up!He was weaned from the vent and from the trach.Although handicapped in a power chair, he leads a very normal life with minimal physical assistance now.He's happy and well adjusted.
You're doing the right thing now.It's a hard search.Also remember there is always hope.

Posts: 4 | Location: Dallas Texas | Registered: January 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My Grandmother is from Central Texas and she had a sroke August 18th with hemmoraging in the brain. Her only insurance is MedicareFrown When she was transferred to Dallas she was in a coma state, absolutely no movement. As of Today October 14th she beat a record of 6hrs by wenging 9hrs today with a great H.R. & R.R.
Her next goal is 12 hours. She is opening both eyes and responding to her family and nursing staff well at Kindred Hospital. Tomorrow she will be transfered to Community Care Center in Garland TX. I was looking on their website and I didn't notice it having respiratory therapist on site. How is she suppose to progress without a consistant respiratory therapist. Our family is terrified. Is there another solution in the Central Texas Area? Abacus do you have any helpful information for me?

Posts: 1 | Registered: October 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
VentWorld Director
Picture of GaryMefford
posted Hide Post
4Granny
I had an opportunity to visit Graham Oaks in Graham Texas earlier this week. They are about 75 miles outside of the DFW Metroplex. I looked at their web site and they don't say anything about RTs either. They currenlty have 11 vent patients some around the clock and some noctornal only. I met with their RT staff. Their lead RT is Mary Sue Owen. She has been a RT instructor at Tarrant County College. Based on some of the processes and outcomes she and her administrator described and a general sense I had about the facility, I would suggest you go by there. It is a pretty drive out past Mineral Wells and didn't seem as long as it was.

It has been my understanding that Community Care Center in Garland does have RTs. I would really suggest visiting both during the day and ask to speak with the RT staff if you have an opportunity. Ask each the question you posted here look around each place and go with the one you feel would be best for Granny.

Good luck.

Posts: 147 | Location: Buckeye Az | Registered: January 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post