VentWorld    VentWorld    ventworld.infopop.cc  Hop To Forum Categories  Vent Users and Families    Help! Need some kind of communication device for person on ventilator
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Help! Need some kind of communication device for person on ventilator
 Login/Join

<debras13@yahoo.com>
posted
If anyone out there has a solution to this problem or knows of a machine that can help, please let me know. A dear friend of mine recently became a quadraparlegic. He has a trach and is on a ventilator. This accident happened about 2 months ago. He cannot speak, only mouth a few words which is extremely frustrating to him and his family. We have tried a board with letters, but he can only move his head sideways and up and down but cannot lift his head. There must be some kind of invention or machine out there that can help people in this situation communicate. Please let me know and email me at debras13@yahoo.com Thank you.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
At the facility I work at, I have quad patients who use a Passy Muir Valve (or PMV). The patients cuff must be down, but we have had great luck with these valves.

Posts: 1 | Location: Exeter, NH USA | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Passey-Muir, makes a great line of vlaves as well as shiley (the trach people) make a speaking valve as well. The number for Passey-Muir is 800-634-5397

Posts: 11 | Registered: January 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There are a few solutions I have in mind...

1 - if he has cognitive abilities, you can use a lightwriter set to morse code mode. Then you can try head switches or sip + puff switch for the morse code input (expensive)

2 - if you think it will be too difficult to learn morse code, then you can use a scanner with the liightwriter (more expensive)

3 - you can do a search for "communication aid" or "augmenative communication device" and you will find a lot of scanning device that will play pre-recorded messages.

email me if you need more help... kho@bcpara.org

Posts: 4 | Location: Vancouver, BC | Registered: January 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post