VentWorld    VentWorld    ventworld.infopop.cc  Hop To Forum Categories  Vent Users and Families    Home Care for Vent Patient?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Home Care for Vent Patient?
 Login/Join

posted
My mom is 82 years old and had been in the hospital for several months on a ventilator. She didn't seem to be doing very well. We decided to take her home for the holidays. My sister took an FMLA leave from work in order to take care of her. I am helping out as much as I can, with a full-time job and 9 year old son to take care of.
We didn't think Mom had much time left, but lo and behold, she's been doing much better at home, which is wonderful. However, my sister will eventually have to return to work when her leave ends. And I can't take a leave due to financial reasons and my son.
We don't know what to do. There is only one facility in the Buffalo area that takes vent patients and they have a long waiting list. The next closest place is in Rochester and that is too far away for us. If we were going to put her in a long term care facility, we would want to be able to visit on a daily basis and we wouldn't be able to do that if she was in Rochester.
My mother's current insurance is a Medicare HMO. Would that provide any help for my mother to remain at home when my sister would return to work? Would my mother have to apply for Medicaid? Would Medicaid help her to be able to stay at home? In other words, would they provide aides/nurses to be with my mother while my sister was working, shopping, doctor's appointments, etc.? Unfortunately, our family is not wealthy, so paying for nurses/aides while we are out working would be cost-prohibitive. We love our mom and want to take care of her, but we can't quit our jobs to do it. Does anybody have any ideas or suggestions for us? We have been so worried and stressed out about what to do.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: sandyg,

Posts: 3 | Registered: January 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sandy,
Medicare only covers homecare for a limited period of time. Your mum can apply for Medicaid but has to meet eligibility requirements eg. income etc. If she is approved for Medicaid, she can stay at home and have nurses and Personal care attendants attend to her at home. However, the care would be provided by a home health care agency that would send its staff to care of your mum. Therefore you can check on her medicaid eligibility first. If approved, then work with a local home health care agency to provide the care. Hope this is helpful.

Posts: 7 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: October 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sandy, email me if you want to consider placing your mum in a home in the twin cities. This would be 40 miles from buffalo which is closer than Rochester. I looked at the option of sending nurses to buffalo from here but not many nurses want to drive down there from the twin cities. If you need more info, I will be pleased to assist.

Posts: 7 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: October 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doke:
Sandy, email me if you want to consider placing your mum in a home in the twin cities. This would be 40 miles from buffalo which is closer than Rochester. I looked at the option of sending nurses to buffalo from here but not many nurses want to drive down there from the twin cities. If you need more info, I will be pleased to assist.

Thanks, but I'm in Buffalo, New York. I didn't realize that Minnesota also had a Buffalo and Rochester.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doke:
Sandy,
Medicare only covers homecare for a limited period of time. Your mum can apply for Medicaid but has to meet eligibility requirements eg. income etc. If she is approved for Medicaid, she can stay at home and have nurses and Personal care attendants attend to her at home. However, the care would be provided by a home health care agency that would send its staff to care of your mum. Therefore you can check on her medicaid eligibility first. If approved, then work with a local home health care agency to provide the care. Hope this is helpful.

Thank you. We will start looking into Medicaid. All my mother receives is social security of about $1100 per month. Off hand, would anyone know if she is eligible for Medicaid?

posted Hide Post
Check this link for medicaid info/eligibility in New York.
http://www.health.state.ny.us/...care/medicaid/#money
Good luck!!!

posted Hide Post
Check out this link for Medicaid eligibility in NY. Good luck!!!
http://www.health.state.ny.us/...care/medicaid/#money

posted Hide Post
When people get old, we send them to a nursing home for professional care and comfort.The care and support provided by every single staff member as well as the various therapists were amazing. Fresh flowers for each resident, accompanied by a stuffed bear brought a smile. The formal dining room, complete with table linen, was cheerful and attractive. Colorful pillows and throws made the rooms homey and less institutional.
nursing home ratings

Posts: 2 | Registered: May 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Check with medicaid first. I hope she can get home care. Is there any possibility that you can take your mom home and from there ask for home care?

Posts: 2 | Location: usa | Registered: August 08, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I hope all is well to you today. Can't you have your mom live at your place. Then you can ask home care. Or how about your sister's place?

_____
Concord Home Care

Posts: 2 | Location: usa | Registered: August 08, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post