VentWorld    VentWorld    ventworld.infopop.cc  Hop To Forum Categories  Vent Users and Families    Home Health Care for Vent-dependent persons
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Home Health Care for Vent-dependent persons
 Login/Join

<kjburde@uhlaw.com>
posted
My name is Karen and I am a mom to Stephanie who is 11 years and she has been vent-dependent/wheelchair since she was 14 months old. We face many challenges in life and I believe even though we have a lot of obstacles we are basically a very happy family. I guess what I'm trying to say is that it seems that finding nurses (let alone quality nurses) has become more and more difficult as time comes. I am told, and believe, that there is a nursing shortage but not sure what to do about it. I am in contact with two other mother's who face the same problems with nursing as I do. We are all working mothers and find that if we had the quality nurses that the insurance companies have approved to work with our children, life would be a whole lot easier. Any suggestions?

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<davisj@ccf.org>
posted
Karen,

Obviously by the lack of response there are few answers out there. Respiratory Therapy is going into a bit of a shortage as well. Finding quality people (nurses or therapists) is always a problem. Some theorize that the shortage is economy driven. When the economy is bad, people trend towards the more secure jobs in the medical profession. The down side is working night shift and holidays. When the economy is good (as it was in the 90's) people trend away from the less "glamorous" medical jobs. The future should improve, what with the downtrend these past couple of years with the economy. Those of us working like crazy in the field can only hope.
As for you and your situation, I have no answers. You are in a much more difficult position than we are. I can take a "warm body" and hope to mold them into a good therapist. You need to bring someone into your home who is not only qualified, but loves what he or she does. Doing a job for the love of it is much different than for a paycheck.
God bless you and your family. I hope you find the help and answers you need.

Jefrey Davis, RRT

<JerryPD2000@aol.c0m>
posted
As a 50 year polio survivor vent user, I think there is still fear of the ventilator amongst some attendants,CNAs, LPNs and RNs. Of course, the best of the bunch don't flinch.

Looking at your situation ,Karen, you shouldn't have to work out of the home, unless you particularly want to, or make big bucks. In Medicaid there is a clause that says that the parent of a small child, or a spouse can be paid if that family member is doing skilled nursing care that otherwise would have to be paid for. But I haven't been able to make that operable here in the state of Washington. My wife does all of my skilled care such as suctioning and other vent care, but this state says a spouse can't be paid.

posted Hide Post
Contact your insurance carriers as many will take qualifed RT's as caregivers, they may or may not be able to give meds depending on their scope of practice for the state you are in. Maybe a church can help you network with RN's or LPN's that would be available to be hired by the agencies that your insurance carrier uses. ASK EVERYONE!!! Network with a realtor in your area and let them know that if any potential clients of theirs are nurses and looking for a job. Use your imagination as well as co-op with the other mothers for care. Thanks and best of luck!!

Posts: 11 | Registered: January 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<greendragon>
posted
Karen I am a Home Health care Nures in the state of MN there are several home helath care agencies such as the one that I work for that cater to vent clients. we have two sites ( assisted Living) and also do in home care as well. you should get in touch with a county social worker and ask for a list of home health care agencies that exclusively work with vent patients. I know of only one agency that is national and it is not the agency I work for but if you would like to email me I would be happy to check in your area for you and see what I can come up with. I work with only vent clients and care for them like they were my family. greendragon_77@msn.com you may suggest to the people who host this site if they could post lists of home care agencies that cater to vent clients for every state