Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Vent
 Login/Join

posted
My husband has been in the hospital since January 29 because of pneumonia. He has been on the vent ever since and also has a trach which the dr. have said was the way to go to wean him from the vent. My question is if he doesn't get off of the vent, will he be able to come home? The doctor taking care of him says "no, he will have to be in a nursing home for the rest of his life". I also have to say that he cannot walk right now because of muscle atrophy from being in bed all this time.

Please help me! Thank you.
Gail

Posts: 1 | Registered: March 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
VentWorld Director
Picture of GaryMefford
posted Hide Post
Gail,
our heart goes out to you and your husband. The situation you are dealing with happens often in hospitals. Your question about caring for your husband at home has no one easy answer that works for every situation. There are many examples of ventilator dependent people living full lives completely independent of hospitals or nursing homes in their own home. There are however many situations of patients who do not wean from the ventilator who's situation dictates that only with the 24hr nursing support provided in a long term facility such as a nursing home can their care needs be met. One thing that is very important in this process is the support of your physician. You might attempt to determine why your physician feels that a nursing home is the only option. Often times there are very good reasons for this and you seem to need additional assistance to understand your doctor's rationale.

Posts: 147 | Location: Buckeye Az | Registered: January 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You may want to look at your local disability advocacy programs that are available.

In IL they have Department of Human Services Home Services program where they can provide personal assistants to assist.

In my case my husband and two assistants were trained.

That was 13 years ago. Don't give up.
I hope all goes well for you.

Posts: 4 | Registered: March 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post