VentWorld    VentWorld    ventworld.infopop.cc  Hop To Forum Categories  Vent Users and Families    URGENT: Ventilator-Dialysis Catch 22
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

URGENT: Ventilator-Dialysis Catch 22
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
quote:
2 Go New Find Notify Tools Reply Admin New PM!

I am in the same situation in Yonkers NY. The discharge planners are absolutely no help and becoming hostile. The nearest facilities I have been offered are in Long Island. Please help me if you are able.

Posts: 2 | Registered: November 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hello,
My mother has COPD. She's been on a ventiltor for 3 months. Now she's on dialysis. No facility in GA will accept her. I am in desperate need of help. The want to send her hundreds of miles away. I am an only child and can't fathom the thought of my mother being so far away. I was willing to take her home and care for her until the dialysis issue came up. I don't know what to do and I'm loosing my mind...Can anyone help me...thank you....Cassandra

Posts: 1 | Location: Decatur, GA | Registered: June 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We live in Richmond, VA. My husband has been on dialysis for 5 years nd is now a recent quad, requiring vent. He has a trach. The facilities that accept vent dependent patients are over 300 miles away. He is my husband. We are spposed to, at least live in the same city. He is a disabled serviced connected veteran and I am still working.Please help us. He is 62 years old and we did not get mrried to never see each other. Does anyone know of agency or facility to help us?

Posts: 1 | Registered: July 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My Mother was forced to go to a Nursing Home in Brownsville, Texas, she lasted 3 weeks, then died at a local Hospital. The Nurse at the Nursing Home was friendly, but didn't seem to know that my Mother was not responding or was in Critical Condition. Far from Home is one thing, Third World Medical Care is another, I don't know if its the Culture, but the Doctors and some of the Nurses at the Hospital seemed to be lacking in the Compassion department. Not everyone in Brownsville is a racist, but If you and your loved one is Black, go to some diverse area of the Country, don't go to Brownsville, Grande Manor or to Valley Bapist Brownsville Hospital for care. Its always a good rule that you should be close enough to visit everyday. The People at Valley Baptist Hospital, Brownsville, seemed to be conditioned against Black People.

Posts: 1 | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Father has been a mute quad with classic Locked in Syndrome for 20 years. Fully coherent and conscious, aware of surroundings typing out messages and writing articles one letter at a time, and being published in medical journals. He breathed with a trach for the last 2 years with out much trouble. A heart attack in July has now made him both Respirator and Dialysis dependent. Because he is a mute Quad, there is question about home dialysis. We had him weaned off to Oxegeon only but he had a relapse. If we get him weaned to Oxegeon only during the Day, there are two facilities in Dallas. Otherwise we are told that He would go to Brownsville. Does anyone know of a closer facility maybe in Texas, Oklahoma or Arkansas?

Posts: 1 | Registered: August 31, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by batnvg07:
quote:

I am in the same situation in Yonkers NY. The discharge planners are absolutely no help and becoming hostile. The nearest facilities I have been offered are in Long Island. Please help me if you are able.

quote:
Originally posted by batnvg07:
quote:

Reply: Hello in Yonkers, and I so very sorry that on my screen I did not see your post last year. I pray you are doing alright and that you still have your loved one. Sadly just a while short of your post, for which I thank you and extend concern, my loved one did not make it and the personnel you mention were key here too and behaved angrily on these topics in my view only adding to or causing confusion and shock and now deep grief. If there were any way for us to positively contribute to these very sad circumstances getting better for others it would be so worth it so I hope you are still here in the forum. With sincere regards, evw.

Posts: 2 | Registered: July 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Human Advocate:
My Mother was forced to go to a Nursing Home in Brownsville, Texas, she lasted 3 weeks, then died at a local Hospital. The Nurse at the Nursing Home was friendly, but didn't seem to know that my Mother was not responding or was in Critical Condition. Far from Home is one thing, Third World Medical Care is another, I don't know if its the Culture, but the Doctors and some of the Nurses at the Hospital seemed to be lacking in the Compassion department. Not everyone in Brownsville is a racist, but If you and your loved one is Black, go to some diverse area of the Country, don't go to Brownsville, Grande Manor or to Valley Bapist Brownsville Hospital for care. Its always a good rule that you should be close enough to visit everyday. The People at Valley Baptist Hospital, Brownsville, seemed to be conditioned against Black People.

Posts: 2 | Registered: February 27, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Human Advocate:

I am joining this forum to report to my fellow americans that have a loved one/family member in a similar situation - A family member that is in need of ventilator care, and requires dialysis treatment. I have been searching for a viable nursing facility in Corpus Christi, Texas but have had nothing but multiple excuses and obstacles placed in our path to obtain proper health Care for my father! This has been a very difficult time for my father and our family. All that my father wants is to be freed from the Hospital prison that we are in, at this time ,in Brownsville, Texas and seek out proper quality care to continue living. Is there anyone in Corpus Christi, Texas area that can help us, Please! I just don't know how much more good service and good intentions my father can survive in Brownsville, Texas. To be fair, there are many good people with good intentions working in the Health Care field; but good intentions MUST be complemented and completed with a good quality Plan of Care, and good quality caring Hospital administration? Thanks to the many good persons that have really made a compassionate effort to help my father and our family! And to those that chose a different path, May God Help You!!!! An example of an obstacle has been the discriminatory Medicaid application process we ameicans are subjected to, at our most difficult and emotional time of need!!! We must make an effort to reform the lenghy application process or elimate it all together!!! Medicaid for All Americans!!! God Bless Everone!!!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: kenedy county patients advocate,

Posts: 2 | Registered: February 27, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am the administrator of liberty health care center, a skilled nursing facility in Liberty, TX that provides rehab services as well as ventilator weaning and in-house dialysis. Our main goal is to get patients weaned off of the ventilator, receive rehab and return home to their families, however we also work with families that are willing to get the necessary training to care for their loved one at home on the ventilator and receive dialysis at home if needed. I sympathize with the families that have trouble finding these much needed services for their loved ones in the area in which they live, as I know there are not many of our types of facilities available. Our success rate at weaning patients is very high. RT's are on duty 24 hours a day as well as a skilled nursing staff dedicated to meeting the needs of your loved one. Liberty is in the Houston area. If you have a loved one that we might assist you with please feel free to contact us at 936-336-7247.

Posts: 1 | Registered: May 26, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post