VentWorld    VentWorld    ventworld.infopop.cc  Hop To Forum Categories  Vent Users and Families    URGENT: Ventilator-Dialysis Catch 22
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

URGENT: Ventilator-Dialysis Catch 22
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
My father is a home ventilator patient in Jacksonville, Florida and is currently hospitalized and now requiring home hemodialysis. I am being told that it is not possible in the state of florida to have both therapies at home? I am exhausting all possibilities since being transferred to a facility in Illinois is apparently our only option? There absolutely must be a way around this! If anyone has any information or suggestions on how this can be accomplished . . . I would greatly appreciate it.

Posts: 2 | Location: Jacksonville Florida | Registered: May 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
please help me my mother fell in july broke her hip had trouble breathing 2 days after surgery so they put her on the vent well than they moved her to an acute care facility and now they want to move her to a place in chicago WE LIVE IN MISSISSIPPI!!!
she is caped during the day but needs vent at night and needs dialysis so they won't let me take her home please help!!!!

***UPDATE*****
My mother passed away on Feb 26, 2010
I do not have any good words for anyone in the
medical profession at this time and about sending an elderly person away from there home is wrong!!!!! right now I am just trying to cope with the loss of my best friend.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: eva,

Posts: 1 | Location: United States | Registered: November 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
eva,
I would love to help you. I run a ventilator dialysis facility unfortunalty we are located in Rock Island Illinois that is approxamitly 3 hours south west of Chicago. If you would like to take a look at our services please check our web site at www.rockislandhealthcare.com I wish you well
Dawn May
Administrator
rock Island Nursiong and Reahbilitation Center

Posts: 17 | Registered: October 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sandra, somehow I stumbled upon a post you made a year ago in May and now I'm in your past position. I do hope you can help me.

My mother is on a ventilator at Mayo and they say she'll never come off of it. They said the closest facility to us that will accept her is in Indiana....or we can take her home. Well, we aren't interested in talking about a move to Indiana and I'm not sure we can handle the home treatment.

I read in your post that you were did home ventilation and I just wondered if you'd tell me about that experience. I don't know what else to do but get the necessary training and bring mother home.

The hospital has recommended the speciality hospital on Richard Rd. but they won't take mother if she's not weanable. Her oxygen has been put up and down and up and down for 6 weeks now but for the last 2 days its been at 100% and her saturation is right around 90%. We have to get the oxygen down to 40% and the saturation at 95 to 100 before the hospital on Richard Rd. will even consider her for admittance.

I hope you still have this email address and you can give me some insight. You know just how scary all of this is and how desperate I am to find out what to do.

LaWanda Hill

Posts: 1 | Registered: June 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Lawanda,
Did you find placement for your mum? If you are interested in placing her in a home in the twin cities, feel free to contact me for details.

Dorothy

Posts: 7 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: October 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just came upon this site - and my heart mind and soul go out to all here. I am in a similar situation with older family member on vent and dialysis and only choices given are distant. Hoping some here have found relief; here I am as if in shock at such news only told me yesterday. Personally very worried, professionally on committees regarding human rights internationally venued if I can possibly be of any help that way. In Westchester County, New York, please share any way you can including info and compassion. respectful.interfaces@gmail.com or as registered here.

Posts: 2 | Registered: July 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
LaWanda, Please let me know if you still need help with this. I learned how do run and care for my wife's vent as well as learn how to do dialyzes. If I can be help to you or anyone please let me know.

Chris Viningre

quote:
Originally posted by lawandahill:
Sandra, somehow I stumbled upon a post you made a year ago in May and now I'm in your past position. I do hope you can help me.

My mother is on a ventilator at Mayo and they say she'll never come off of it. They said the closest facility to us that will accept her is in Indiana....or we can take her home. Well, we aren't interested in talking about a move to Indiana and I'm not sure we can handle the home treatment.

I read in your post that you were did home ventilation and I just wondered if you'd tell me about that experience. I don't know what else to do but get the necessary training and bring mother home.

The hospital has recommended the speciality hospital on Richard Rd. but they won't take mother if she's not weanable. Her oxygen has been put up and down and up and down for 6 weeks now but for the last 2 days its been at 100% and her saturation is right around 90%. We have to get the oxygen down to 40% and the saturation at 95 to 100 before the hospital on Richard Rd. will even consider her for admittance.

I hope you still have this email address and you can give me some insight. You know just how scary all of this is and how desperate I am to find out what to do.

LaWanda Hill

Posts: 3 | Location: Montgomery Texas | Registered: August 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My father in law has been on and off the vent so many times that they wanted to put in a trach, now that they have done this we have to have him sent to a place near Chicago, Il because we've been told that no one in Indiana, Ohio or Kentucky will perform dialysis with an open trach. If anyone has any helpful suggestions, it would be greatly appreciated. We can't afford to got back and forth to Chicago several times a week to visit and we sure can't pull up roots and move. I think it is unfair that the medical world forces us to make such decisions.

Posts: 1 | Registered: November 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
On site diaysis and complex respiratory care are a speciality not provided by many skilled nursing facilities. Rock Island Nursing and Rehabilitation Center is a 177 bed skilled nursing facility providing on site dialysis and ventilator care. We specialize in rehabilitation and are experts in care. We serve individules from all over the country and work diligently to keep families in touch with teh care of their loved ones. We are located in western Illinois, 3 hours west of Chicago. you many contact us directly at (309)788-0458 or visit our web site at www.rockislandhealthcare.com

Posts: 17 | Registered: October 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by educate.via.web:
I just came upon this site - and my heart mind and soul go out to all here. I am in a similar situation with older family member on vent and dialysis and only choices given are distant. Hoping some here have found relief; here I am as if in shock at such news only told me yesterday. Personally very worried, professionally on committees regarding human rights internationally venued if I can possibly be of any help that way. In Westchester County, New York, please share any way you can including info and compassion. respectful.interfaces@gmail.com or as registered here.

Posts: 2 | Registered: November 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post