VentWorld    VentWorld    ventworld.infopop.cc  Hop To Forum Categories  Vent Users and Families    post ventilator behavior
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

post ventilator behavior
 Login/Join

posted
My stepfather has been sucessuflly weaned off of a ventilator after being on it for 9 days. He has now been off for 6 days. My question is regarding his mental status. He seems fairly normal although speaking a little slowly and it seems to take him a while to process his thoughts. He acts very strange about going home even getting to the point of getting on an elevator and having to be convinced to get off and back to his room. My mother just spoke to him and he wanted to know when she was coming to pick him up. When she said she didn't think he was leaving today he said that the next time he went to the hospital he would let us know when it was over. Is this type of behaviour normal and if so how long typically does it last. My sister is already talking about putting him on disability and possibly putting him in assisted living!!?? I think it is waaaay to soon for any of that kind of talk. Any input is appreciated.

Posts: 1 | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This is normal behavior. I know with the vent I still get anxious and very scared, especially when it is hard to breathe.

Posts: 4 | Registered: March 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post