VentWorld    VentWorld    ventworld.infopop.cc  Hop To Forum Categories  RC Professionals    BiPAP reimbursement for trach patients
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

BiPAP reimbursement for trach patients
 Login/Join

posted
A customer of mine has asked me if there is Medicare reimbursement for using BiPAP on a patient with a trach. She has gotten info from the head of her rehab department that Medicare will not reimburse for this as it is “not an approved therapy or standard of care”. Her question is then why are they using it on some of their ICU patients if is not covered. Obviously, keeping them from being ventilated is a goal and much better outcome, but I would appreciate any information I could get. Thanks in advance.

Posts: 1 | Registered: November 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Invasive bipap is only approved for the Bipap vision by the FDA that I'm aware of. It has alarm paramenters that home bipap machines do not have. Since hospitals get paid a flat DRG fee, what equipment used is irrelevent to medicare as long as it is FDA approved. Patients in the home are a whole different reimbursement issue. It gets very complicated depending on whether they have OSA or respiratory failure.

Posts: 3 | Registered: January 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post