VentWorld
infant stars/neo

This topic can be found at:
https://ventworld.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/2616042361/m/6886028474

November 03, 2003, 12:35 PM
tigngin
infant stars/neo
For all of you old timers out there who have used Star's w/ sync boxes.
If the sync box is in use for SIMV and the abdominal probe is in place, and you initiate a breath with the "manual breath" button, would you not take the vent out of sync w/ the infant as the infant is trying to initiate a spont breath while you are trying to give manual breaths. As you know, the sensor is very sensitive. I know this seems like a simple question but I would like to see some thoughts on this. Nothing is addressed in the literature regarding this.
January 07, 2004, 05:58 AM
Chris
the abdominal sensor is a poor way to sync and trigger, I suggest you go with vent that has a proximial flow sensor.

a mechanical ventilation genius
January 10, 2004, 09:59 AM
tphiff
Why would you want to use a vent with a proximal airway sensor. This only adds to your deadspace and also adds weight to the ETT. I know the added deadspace is only 1-3cc of volume but in a small baby tha could be 1/4 or 1/3 of their volume. As for the added weight, why increase the risk of extubation.
January 11, 2004, 05:38 AM
Chris
This is very old technology, if your baby was a 25 weeks would you choose to put him/her on an infant star vs babylog. The infant star has been discontinued for a reason. Because you get no information about the baby's Vt or MV you can't properly understand pulmonary function.

a mechanical ventilation genius
January 11, 2004, 07:01 AM
BMac
It's been a while since I used this but I believe the "manual breath" would be out of synch. The button is assuming that the patient is not breathing a therefore synch would not be an issue. If you need a definite answer, you can email me at mcleanbr@msn.com and I will call to find out for you.

I hope this helps,

Bruce