VentWorld    VentWorld    ventworld.infopop.cc  Hop To Forum Categories  RC Professionals    I want to be an RT
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I want to be an RT
 Login/Join

<Monja>
posted
Well, I want to be an RT. I have been reading a lot about what it is and what you do. I have talked to our local community college about there 2-year RRT program. I can say I am definitely interested. Smile

Right now I'm in the legal field and well, it's just not me. I'm looking for a career that I can feel passionate about. I would also like to work with children. I also love technology and learning. Big Grin

I'm hoping that some of you can give me the Pros and Cons of being an RT. I've read some thoughts from people from other boards and wanted to ask all of you.

In fact, its been hard to find RT sites/groups. Then when you do see someone post a question about being an RT everyone says to go be an RN because there are more options; is that true? I certainly hope not. Confused

I hope that all you don't mind sharing your insight/experience with me. I'm 30 now soon to be 31 and want to choose a career I can feel good about and I'm hoping RT is that career.

Look forward to hearing your thoughts!

Monja

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<21%>
posted
You will probably get a lot of negativity in response to this question.
Personally, I say go for it if it interests you! I work in a major medical center, and I like it. Of course there are terrrible days, but there are days like that at any job. Over all, I enjoy my work. And the longer I do it, the more I am glad that I DID NOT choose nursing over respiratory.
I like the changing patient population I see, the schedule, and I love the people I work with. Of course you can make more money nursing, and it has greater potential for growth in your career. But if respiratory is what interests you, as it did me, then just do it!
If you can in the field and decide you want to do something else, like nursing, you can always pursue that later.

posted Hide Post
Monja,

I have been an RT for over 12 years now. I did not expect to be in the field this long and while I have to say it has not always been my passion, I have enjoyed it, met some wonderful people, and made some good money along the way. Yes, nursing pays more, but I make more money than all my friends who have a 4yr degree, and none of the school loans!! It was also great when I was a staff RT to only work 3 days a week!
Here's a bit of my experience:
I started off as a staff RT on the night shift and started taking some charge/lead responsibilities. I tried to work in hospitals that would challenge me--having an adult ICU, PICU and NICU. I moved to another very large hospital and took an ER position, where I got some great critical care experience with every age group. I considered a job as a flight therapist, but ended up not taking the position because of the commute. I got burned out and went to work with a group of pulmonologists for a year--doing full PFT's, arterial and venous blood work, etc. It was a nice break from the hospital and fast pace of ER.
However after one year, I was bored and went back to the hospital. I worked in a level III NICU and did transports and intubation. It's been a few years and I have since moved on and become an RT Educator at my facility. So...as you can see, if you are motivated there are many opportunities out there. Yes, there are more opportunities for RN's, but if you are excited about RT and want to make a difference, go for it!

Posts: 1 | Location: Santa Clara, CA | Registered: November 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<Monja>
posted
Thanks 21% and Sandra. I appreciate your replies. Smile

I have been reading whatever I can about the field from websites like this, the AARC, and ADVANCE.

When I finally do get into the field I want to be the person who is on top of things has read the latest advances in respiratory care and goes to the conferences/seminars to learn. I definitely want to make a difference. Big Grin

Thanks again for your insite.

Monja

posted Hide Post
Monja,

Hi. I'm also wanting to get into the RC field. I've been a veterinary technician for several years, and want a change. I love medicine and have decided respiratory care is for me. I thought about nursing (most burnt out and vet techs switch to nursing), but it's just not want I want. Plus, everyone is a nurse! Dare to do something different!! Also, the wait lists for nursing schools around here are 2-3 or more years long (at least at the community colleges). There are no wait lists at the RC programs I've looked into. You do have to apply to get in. I think it sounds like a great career. By the way, I'm 45, have worked ~11 years in veterinary medicine and a full-time stay-at-home mom for 12 years. Email me if you want to chat about becoming an RT.

Posts: 1 | Location: Colorado | Registered: November 15, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Monja
posted Hide Post
Thanks for responding jrollert. I think it's cool you've been in the vet field. I love animals myself!

I'm hoping to get into the RT program either Fall of 06 or 07. Smile

I'll chat with you soon.

Posts: 3 | Registered: November 15, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<Breath of fresh air>
posted
Girl...I promise you that if you work in a major health care centre and thrive on continued education and optimal patient care...you will have an exciting career with so many opportunities. I am in Vancouver, Canada and in my 5 years of practice, I have worked in Neonatal and Pediatric units, as an Anaesthesia Assist, done Asthma education and now I am supervising a NICU. Every day is different and there is always an opportunity to teach and learn in every shift. Go with you gut and get into a program. Ours is a 3 year diploma that will be developed into a Bachelor's Degree in Allied Health Science soon...
Good Luck!!

Picture of Monja
posted Hide Post
Thanks Breath of Fresh Air. Appreciate the words of encouragement. Big Grin

Posts: 3 | Registered: November 15, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi Monja
I say go for it!! Nobody ever got rich being an RT but Love my job. Sure it has ups and downs pros and cons but most everyone I work with are passionate about their work. I think RTs are a breed apart in that where ever we can stick our noses in you'll find us. I think of RTs as a but of keeners. You like techy junk, you like to study, want to see what you do make a change in a persons life, want to work with all ages and in many areas of specialty. I say go for it.
I think you may make more as a nurse, but it depends where you work. I think RTs are an inegral part of the team just as much as a nurse or any other is. Whats more we have a very broad skill set and can be extremely versatile. I think you'll find most RTs looking for ways to help and places to get their fingers into

Besides that how cool is it to get paid to breath for a living.

Posts: 45 | Registered: July 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JeffWhitnack
posted Hide Post
RN's tend to get their respect handed to them on a platter. But it is a respect often not built on a solid foundation, as often hospital policies and treatment make a mockery of such. Still the money for RN's is usually better. But we are slowly catching up.

As an RT you have to pretty much establish the respect you get. But once it's there it's of a far better caliber. But if you expect the hosptial administration to ever get their heads out of some sandpit and recognize such formally, you may have a long wait.

But the simple fact of the matter is that we have become more important than the RN's. At the community hospital I work at the night shift is staffed by two of us. Should both of us keel over suddenly the whole hospital is in a totally unviable position--codes or airway/ventilation emergencies from ER to Nursery to floor wards. Suddenly remove any two or five (save ICU and ER) nurses and the hospital would be able to muddle through.

Nurses wipe butts.

RT's save butts.

Posts: 171 | Location: Palo Alto, CA USA | Registered: November 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post